Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was using suse 9.2 I want to upgrade and thought this might be the time to try a different distro. I am looking at debian and ubuntu. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu worth a try?

I was using suse 9.2 I want to upgrade and thought this might be the time to try a different distro. I am looking at debian and ubuntu. I have heard ubuntu is basically debian with a little extra so I think i am going to try it. That and i have not been able to find a place to download the dvd iso of debian on the internet and i can not use bit torrent because my school server won't allow it. Does anyone have any thoughts about ubuntu? I have heard the installation is tricky but after that everything is pretty simple?

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu is a good linux distro for people new to linux. In my opinion the install is pretty straightforward, and they only thing you may have trouble with is partitioning. As for Ubuntu being Debian with extra stuff, thats not true, I believe its the other way around. The installs for Ubuntu and Debian are essintially the same with a few minor differences, Debian just lets you customize what you want on your system more instead of installing a load of packages without asking. Thats my two cents. Also if you use Debian Sarge the packages are a bit outdated, if you can, get a snapshot of the Testing Distribution Etch. Its a bit more current =)

Go for it! Assuming the installer has improved from 5.04 to 5.10, it should be an easy distro to use.
    Another option for a Debian-based distro is Mepis. Where Debian is adamant about only using free software, Mepis is more concerned with making a distro that works well out of the box and thus doesn't mind packaging things with restricted licenses and closed source. It sounds very user-friendly, and I'm planning on trying it myself next week.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux Enthusiast
    I would also recommend MEPIS over Ubuntu. Like a few other people here, I don't like Ubuntu. Even though it's an improvement (for the first ever install) over Debian, it's not match to MEPIS'. For one, Ubuntu didn't auto-recognize my monitor, where even Debian did, so there should be no reason why Ubuntu doesn't. MEPIS on the other hand, is a LiveCD with the ability to be installed to HD, so it's auto-recognition is extremely efficient. I had no problems with it, and would take it over Ubuntu any day of the week.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwl157
    I have heard the installation is tricky but after that everything is pretty simple?
    I've installed it 3 or 4 times in the past and never thought of it as difficult, or tricky at all. I do agree though, that this would be a good time for you to give another distro a try, and Ubuntu is a very popular option. Hope you have fun with it, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you run into any problems.

ozar
    oz

@debian dvd's: from this site: http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

i got to this server for x386: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/.../i386/iso-dvd/

So there are actually dvd-images downloadable. Be sure to get a server near your place from the first link and the right architectre for your computer.

Ubuntu is also very breezy to install!

I've tried the Kubuntu version and it is quite good and easy to use. The only downside (for me) was that they have a lot of proprietary packages that diverge from the Debian packages. I am currently happy with Kanotix, but Ubuntu/Kubuntu is a very good distro. As stated previously, Mepis is also a good choice.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ticklu2deth
    I've tried the Kubuntu version and it is quite good and easy to use. The only downside (for me) was that they have a lot of proprietary packages that diverge from the Debian packages.
    That's one of the things I've never liked about K/Ubuntu, along with having a different set of repos. I like vanilla Debian much better, but think everyone should try them because they might fall instantly in love with them.

ozar
    oz