Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I have a question about Acronis True Image 9.0 . It looks as though it is a great way to backup all your information and data, and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Acronis True Image

Hey guys,

I have a question about Acronis True Image 9.0. It looks as though it is a great way to backup all your information and data, and it I read it can even save all your settings and data, including the OS, as an ISO file on a bootable CD. I am almost ready to install Ubuntu, but I need to save my data.

Has anyone used it or have any comments about it? I just need some feedback before I buy it.

Cheers guys

oz
    forum.guy
    I use it all the time and it's great!

In fact, I'd be lost without it, as I've always made backup images of every successful Linux install I've ever made, and it allows me to experiment with Linux without having to fear loosing my working setups. About 4 to 6 minutes to create images and about the same time to restore them. I often switch between Linux distros 3 or 4 times in a day thanks to True Image.

Oh, I've also used Norton Ghost and it's very good, but I prefer TrueImage.

oz
    oz

ditto

True Image is a great product. Ozar is right, it's great to be able to save off drive or partition images and switch around between them. Takes all the risk out of experimentation.

And since I'm also running XP, its great to have a good back up for the next time Windows barfs on itself.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB
    True Image is a great product. Ozar is right, it's great to be able to save off drive or partition images and switch around between them. Takes all the risk out of experimentation.

And since I'm also running XP, its great to have a good back up for the next time Windows barfs on itself.
    Yep, I advise people all the time to buy and use it, but very few ever do it. Instead, they install from scratch, screw it up, and install from scratch again and again. Arch is my default distro, but I love experimenting with different distros, so with TrueImage, Arch is never more than 4 or 5 minutes away from my desktop.

ozar
    oz

Thanks for the replies guys

So basically you can create a bootable CD with all your files and your OS, so if you accidently corrupt windows files or something, you can restore it? And Is is it possible to restore your partitions?

Cheers

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tux~
    Thanks for the replies guys

So basically you can create a bootable CD with all your files and your OS, so if you accidently corrupt windows files or something, you can restore it? And Is is it possible to restore your partitions?

Cheers
    That's generally correct. The TrueImage program itself can reside on a bootable CD (or directly on the hard drive, but under Windows only). Your partition images can be stored on the hard drive, or on CDs. Yes, you can restore the partition images from CD, or from the hard drive.

ozar

Edit: Just wanted to add here that I started running into some problems with True Image so started using FSArchiver instead, and it works great. It's a command line tool, but it's worked perfectly every time that I've used it. Note that if you restore your archive to another drive, you'll need to restore the bootloader in a separate process. I should add that I've been running FSArchiver from the Parted Magic LiveCD.
    Last edited by oz; 02-26-2011 at 01:57 AM.
    oz