Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there. I'm having problems with reinstalling my Windows Xp Pro. I have set my CD-ROM as fisrt boot device and it starts reading the CD. After it gives a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help me install windows back, please.

Hey there.

I'm having problems with reinstalling my Windows Xp Pro. I have set my CD-ROM as fisrt boot device and it starts reading the CD. After it gives a message that it's checking my hardware and then the screen stays black.

My Linux install works fine. And I can boot from Linux bootable CDs, but windows will not go beyond that black screen.

I am really stuned by this, and have no clue what might be holding it from installing. I did dualboot installations of windows and linux many times and never had a problem.

So right now I only have Fedora Core 4 installed.

Thank you for your time.

oz
    forum.guy
    boot with a windows boot disk

then run: fdisk /mbr

that will overwrite the GRUB bootloader allowing you to reinstall Windows XP

hope this helps...

ozar
    oz

Thank you for your input.

Unfortunatly CD with windows doesn't fully boot. I know that CD is fine, because I just checked it in another computer.
    CD-ROM starts reading the CD, and apprenly it starts to boot, then it gives message that it is checking hardware and then the screen just stays black.

I already got rid off windows partition in Linux, so it's just unused raw space.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: is there a way to kill my bootloader through Linux?

oz
    forum.guy
    Is the CD that's not booting all the way the Windows Installation CD? If so, don't use that but use a Windows boot disk like you can find at http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

That should allow you to boot to a prompt where you can run the command that was suggested above.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    I understand you are saying that Windows XP will not reinstall, but if you have a working Windows XP CD, have you tried the recovery console?

To use the WinXP Recovery Console, reboot the computer with the WinXP installation CD in the CD drive. When prompted during text-mode setup, press R to start the Recovery Console. The command you want to use to fix the MBR in this case is: fixmbr
    oz

Here is what I did.

- I killed my grub boot loader, still no luck.

I can't get into recovery console because my CD doesn't load that far.

I just checked this CD on the other PC and it booted up no problem. After the message about hardware check I was greeted with a blue setup screen, where I could shoose 'install' or 'recovery console'

Now on my PC it won't get pass 'Checking your hardware message", which is the first thing that comes up after CD starts loading, then it just sits there with a black screen. It simply doesn't get to that text menu where it would let me shoose between 'install' and recovery console. Linux CDs boot fine though.

I have two CD-drives on my PC, I tried both of them, and I don't think that they gone bad all of a sudden.

Anything else I'm missing?

I got rid off Linux partitions using Knoppix and afte that Windows CD booted up.

No lose here, I was going to reinstall FC4 after I install windows in the first place.

Thank you for your time ozar, much appreciated.