Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, If I installed loads of programs on my computer would it slow the computer down. I ask this because for some reason I dislike having programs on my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Does having loads of program slow your computer down?

Hey,

If I installed loads of programs on my computer would it slow the computer down.

I ask this because for some reason I dislike having programs on my computer which I do not use and for the ones I do use, I tend to go for the more minimalistic ones, despite my root partition being 15GB (and am only currently using 5GB, including Doom3 demo, Q4 demo, ET, TCE).

Thanks
    Tom.

having them sat on your hard disk shouldn't effect the performance of your pc, only if you load them.

If your pc is struggling, try one of the lighter (less resource hungry) desktops/window managers .

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux User
    No... programs installed will not slowdown your system. However service programs will run in background, so they will take some memory and a little of CPU.
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

In Windows it could slow down the computer if you were running very low on hard drive space. Windows needs swap space on the hard drive to function, so that it can multi task. Linux has a separate partition for swap space so you wouldn't run into that problem as much as in Windows. i'm not sure it would effect how fast your computer runs very much. Nothing noticable anyway.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206