Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a DLT tape drive on one machine on my network and I want to use another machine to backup to it. But I'm having difficulty accessing the device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

backing up to another machine

I have a DLT tape drive on one machine on my network and I want to use another machine to backup to it. But I'm having difficulty accessing the device from the second machine. Any suggestions?

Linux Engineer
    You can do this a lot of ways.
    tar- can backup to a remote tape drive
    scp- to copy the data over then write to tape
    nfs- mount the data you want backed up and write it to tape
    rdump- dump data to a remote device
    I am sure there are many other ways but I think any of those should be easy to do.

Just Joined!

using tar across network

Ok, now I'm having difficulty using tar across the network. I believe the .rhosts is correct, but I'm just getting connection refused error when tar tries to run. Is there some other network setting on the tapehost that needs to be set?

Linux Engineer
    Are you connecting with a valid user on the tapehost and could you paste the line you are using?

Just Joined!

error message

Ok, here is my command and the error that follows:

tar -tvf nlfarr@HOSTNAME:/dev/st0
    HOSTNAME:Connection refused
    tar: nlfarr@HOSTNAME\:/dev/st0: Cannot Open: Input/Output error
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Linux Engineer
    Try something like this. I suggest your get a program called buffer because your tape needs to be fed data at constant speeds which just sending over ethernet can't garuntee.
    Code:
    tar c your.files | ssh -l someuser HOSTNAME "buffer -o /dev/st0"

Linux Guru
    ssh is a truly wonderful program. However, genlee, doesn't it look better (purely cosmetically, I agree, but these things are important =) ) with someuser@HOSTNAME instead of -l someuser HOSTNAME? By the way, genlee, while we're at ssh, do you know how much overhead (on the net, not CPU) the encryption generates?

nlfarr, I hope you weren't serious with actually writing HOSTNAME (I hope you had replaced HOSTNAME with the actual name of the host)? Not that I think you did that, but I have to check anyway.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda that probably depends on what type of encryption you use. I am sure the size of the encrypted data varies(always larger then source though) and the overhead is probably also dependant on the encryption method. I was told that generally you want to add an extra 100 bytes of overhead per packet with encrypted data. Ssh can compress the overhead from the encryption to squeeze some more data in there. I doubt most users will never notice this except in a large scale enviroment where everyone is encrypting their data. Then I would go to other methods of encrypted vpns like IPSEC which would encrypt on the ip layer and would offer less overhead. Also I remember seeing somewhere that they tested transfer speeds and rc4 cipher was the fastest.

Just Joined!
    Dolda - yes, I just wrote HOSTNAME in the post for generality's sake

genlee - I tried your command, but I got a:
    buffer: command not found
    I'm guess buffer is a command that I don't have.

I'm using Redhat 7.1

Linux Engineer
    Yes I told you to install it Go to rpmfind.net and get it that is if you have mandrake or redhat. If not, just go to freshmeat and get the source.