Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was wandering if it's really necessary to install firefox if I already have konqueror. Can anyone tell me the main things firefox can do that konqueror cannot? Are there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

firefox vs konqueror

I was wandering if it's really necessary to install firefox if I already have konqueror. Can anyone tell me the main things firefox can do that konqueror cannot? Are there any security issues? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hopefully this isn't one of those things that turns into browser wars...but in short, no, you don't need to install FF. Personally, I prefer it, I like the way it works, the extension model of adding on, the interface...but you can always install it and test it for yourself and see if you prefer one over the other. Browsers are heavily subjective.

You could probably start a mini-war over "which is more secure". In the end, don't worry about it - Konqueror is fine. The vast majority of security issues with web sites are windows based, anyway. Same goes for compatibility with web sites.

DT

Linux Newbie
    thanks that's what I wanted to know. I've already used ff a great deal and really don't care one way or the other as far as looks, interactions and such. Security and functionality were my main concerns. Thanks again.

Linux Enthusiast
    On most machines, konquerer will load faster than ff if you are using KDE, because the libraries that you need to run the app are already loaded. So, speed wise, konquerer wins there

Although I use links2 -g which is also a good browser.

Linux Newbie
    I totaly agree with you there onlinebacon. On my previous installation that is one thing I noticed. Talking about speed, openoffice apps take for ever to load for me in comparison to other apps. Is there really so much to load?

Well, OpenOffice 1.x was notoriously slow to open. OpenOffice 2.x is significantly faster, so if you haven't upgraded yet, try that.

As far as FF vs. Konqueror: it really depends on you. I personally don't like Konqueror, and I don't use KDE, while I absolutely love Firefox. Try 'em both, and use whichever you prefer!

Linux User
    My first choice for a browser is opera, I like the built in mail client and just the general feel of it. Second choice is Fx, with Konqueror a close third, I like the use of Konqueror as a file browser though.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonantice
    I was wandering if it's really necessary to install firefox if I already have konqueror. Can anyone tell me the main things firefox can do that konqueror cannot? Are there any security issues? Thanks in advance for your input.
    I don't use KDE much anymore but when I do, I tend to get bored with either browser rather quickly so I switch back and forth between them.

They each seem to have a few features that I wish they both had. The built-in spellchecker in Konqueror is really nice for posting in forums like this one. However, it's not fully supported by gmail and a few other sites, which can be a bit bothersome at times.

I'm not familiar with any current major security flaws with either browser.

oz
    oz

I prefer Firefox personally and use it in combination with Thunderbird. And I agree that security isn't much a problem with any nix browsers because most 95% of the threats out there are for WinBlows users.

The cool thing about Konqueror is that it aims to be 100% compliant to all standards, and it shares a lot of code with Safari, the native Mac browser. In fact the KHTML engine they share was developed for Konqueror by the KDE team. Although most developers could give a crap (I said most not all ) what you use, the fact that there are a lot of Mac users and that this engine aims for compliance rather than spreading itself means it runs most pages quite well. Although I use firefox, I much prefer the page rendering in Konqueror. Even those buttons look nicer, I just wish they'd make there tab shortcuts as easy as firefox.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast