Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Since the first day i hear the word LINUX i was intreaged.... The first time i installed i didn't know what the hell I was doing..... The second time..... I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why do WE levo linux so much?!?!

Since the first day i hear the word LINUX i was intreaged....
    The first time i installed i didn't know what the hell I was doing.....
    The second time..... I still didn't have a clue....
    The 3rd time.. i got a friend to help me
    Then i started getting used to it..... hit my head against the wall time and time again, whenever i tryed to do something.
    After a while i started questioning why I had a useless OS (Windows XP) taking so much space on my hdd.... and began to idealise deleting it.
    AND SO I DID......
    And in no time at all i was doing all i ever needed on a linux (exclusive) box.....
    I never when back since

But answering the Thread title.... DON't Know!!!!! I JUST DO!

[Another useless Thread... I have no social life..... ]

Linux User
    I too love Linux, and FoxTrot.

Linux Engineer
    i think part of the reason so many of us love linux is that in order to be able to effectively use it, you have to *think*! it's a challenge to those of us that tire of windows' idiot-friendly ideology.. well, at least those are the reasons that i love it so much...

btw: anyone got any ideas on what i should do with an extra 10gb partition that used to have windoze on it?? :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    ...you have to *think*! it's a challenge...
    I completly agree!

btw: anyone got any ideas on what i should do with an extra 10gb partition that used to have windoze on it?? :P
    That's another good thing i liked about linux... i don't need a high capacity HDD.... you can install it on !gb and have practly everything you need...

lordnothing ,y solutiom to the "To MUch Free Space on HardDrive" was:
    install a emule-client
    and donwload DivX movies by the lot

Linux Engineer
    i actually have a ridiculous amount of space for linux.. i have a 20gb HDD and a 40gb HDD in my box with nothing but reiserfs partitions on them... i think i might just d/l a bunch of old cartoons or something via bittorrent..

Linux Engineer
    10 gig free... umm....
    /me looks at the spot where there i had 10gb free yesterday before i borrowed a mates movie collection...

yep id say thats a good use for it.

Linux Guru
    i actually have a ridiculous amount of space for linux.. i have a 20gb HDD and a 40gb HDD in my box with nothing but reiserfs partitions on them... i think i might just d/l a bunch of old cartoons or something via bittorrent..
    Mwahahahahaha! You call that a ridiculous amount of space? I, myself, have a 480 GB XFS filesystem on my NFS home directory server, LVM:ed together from four 120 GB WDC drives. Admittedly, I only use half of it, but it's constantly growing, since I invented an automated downloader program to get me anime series around the clock. (microft.pt: And you tell me that you have no social life? You don't earn the geek title until you have 160 GBs anime! :-) )

To return on topic, there are oh so many reasons why I love Linux.
    First, politically in that it's free.
    Second, because I can do literally everything with it - If I want it to do something that isn't soft-configurable, I can always get the source code and do it myself. This is actually my primary reason to love GNU/Linux. However, it's so tightly linked with the first reason that proprietary systems (such as Windoze) never, ever, could be as good for me as GNU/Linux is.
    Third, because it works better and is faster than most proprietary systems.
    Fourth, it doesn't cost me anything.
    Fifth, I get thousands of programs with it, most of them being the best of their kind in the world.

In fact, comparing GNU/Linux with M$ Windoze, I see only one single advantage with Windoze - the ease of performing administrative tasks such as loading drivers and setting up hardware. I don't see any other advantage of Windoze whatsoever, no matter whose point of view, and I think that is going to change as well with the introduction of sysfs and the rest of the kobject code (especially including its hotplug integration) in the 2.6 kernel. I don't know how many of you have checked it out really closely, but that thing is powerful for real, and I think it will allow distributions to exceed Windoze's setup capabilities by far. All that is missing now is the user-space programs to actually use that functionality. Speaking of which, Fedore Core 2 will ship sometime around April, and it will include the 2.6 kernel. It's the first distro that I've heard of that officially supports 2.6 and uses it by default, so I just can't wait to try it out and see what user-space stuff they will have implemented.

All this being said, I really should try out FreeBSD and compare it to Linux. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Linux User
    I too have been meaning to try out FreeBSD for the longest time, just never seem to have the time for it. BTW I didn't know you were an anime fan Dolda, what are some of your faves or just some you've been watching recently?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    (microft.pt: And you tell me that you have no social life? You don't earn the geek title until you have 160 GBs anime! )

I guess you're right, perhaps I still have a shread of social life left.
    But concerning anime... I don't have much.
    Movies... THAT'S ANOTHER ISSUE! all the movies i can get my hands on..... and then some.....

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SiezedPropaganda
    I too have been meaning to try out FreeBSD for the longest time, just never seem to have the time for it. BTW I didn't know you were an anime fan Dolda, what are some of your faves or just some you've been watching recently?
    Hehe, I noticed your Spike avatar some time ago and was quite impressed. I will stick to my GNU one, though, unless I get a manga rendering of it. =)
    I can't figure out what episode your avatar comes from, though. It was some time since I saw Cowboy Bebop... would you care to enlighten me?

I'm currently watching Azumanga Daioh, Rurouni Kenshin, Martian Successor Nadesico and Slam Dunk.

Concerning my favorite ones, I find it very hard to rank them... There are so many really good animes that's it hard to tell them apart. My top two are Cowboy Bebop and Great Teacher Onizuka, though - words fail to describe their greatness.

Also, like I briefly mentioned, I created an automatic downloader program to get me more. While it's one of the simplest programs that I've written, it's certainly one of the most useful ones, and I would even go as far as to describe it as my greatest invention ever. It got me all 95 episodes of Kenshin, totalling in around 18 GBs, in far less than a week, giving me weeks of fun-filled watching. It only took me some days to perfect the search hit ranking heuristics, and those days have most certainly payed off with many thousand percents of interest.

The problem is that this program is currently idle, due to me not finding a good series to let it work on. Do you have any suggestions, SiezedPropaganda?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast