Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Redhat 8 and a zoom 56k modem. It has a Lucent DSP chipset, and I downlaoded the rpm that is supposed to make it work from http://www.heby.de/ and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Winmodem on Linux

I have Redhat 8 and a zoom 56k modem. It has a Lucent DSP chipset, and I downlaoded the rpm that is supposed to make it work from
    http://www.heby.de/ and it does, until i try to load the kernel module lt_serial.o
    It then gives me 13 'undefined character' errors and doesn't load the module.

I sent the error messages to discuss@linmodems.org

Anyone here know what the matter is.

Linux Guru
    Undefined character?! I have never heard of such an error message before. Can you post the exact output of when you try and load the driver?

Just Joined!
    This is the email i sent to discuss@linmodems.org:
    (and sorry, in the previous post i said undefined, i meant unresolved
    ----------------------------------
    Dear linmodems,

When I run the utility checkout, everything but lt_serial loads. When checkout does insmod lt_serial.o (with the full file paths too) I get this error message:

/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol add_wait_queue_R11dfb1e5
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol remove_wait_queue_Rb3afbf37
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_wait_until_sent_R851abbd3
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_register_devfs_R9f8c1c23
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_hung_up_p_R4e5dde94
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_hangup_R551006f5
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_get_baud_rate_Rc113729c
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_unregister_driver_Rd509a578
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_register_driver_R84b562a2
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol tty_flip_buffer_push_R38cf3588
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol do_SAK_R2e704974
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/ltmodem/lt_serial.o failed

In checkout, I continued on with the diagnostic section after lt_serial failed to load. Unloading unnecessary modules did not help. As I said before, this is the only problem I'm having with the rpm so far. I attached LTinstall.txt as recommended in your docs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

And the extra R38cf3588 stuff at the end of the error lines was certain ascii symbols on linux, but when i transferred the error message via floppy to windows, windows replaced the symbols with that junk[/i]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Unresolved symbol says a lot more...
    It seems to me that that module requires other modules to load. Have you tried modprobe lt_serial instead (providing that you've made a make install from source and run depmod -a)?

Just Joined!
    I installed from an rpm (from www.heby.de) and yes, I did try depmod -a

Linux Guru
    But have you tried running "modprobe lt_serial" instead of "insmod lt_serial.o"?

Just Joined!
    cant remember, ill have to try it again.

While im on this subject, is anyone familiar with discuss@linmodems.org, the way they are supposed to respond to you? Do they email you back, or is your problem answered on linmodems.org in the mail archives section?

Linux Guru
    Are you sure it's not a mailing list?