Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got done installing Linux 8.0 on my computer. This is the first time for me to use it so i dont know to much about it. I know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NEWBIE: I jsut installed linux and need to get network runin

I just got done installing Linux 8.0 on my computer. This is the first time for me to use it so i dont know to much about it. I know a lot about windows but not linux so i decided to give it a try. Well once i got done installing I wanted to get my network hooked up but i cant figure out how. My network connection is hooked up directly to my MOtherboard (I just made my computer) and i have no clue how to install the drivers to linux to get it working. I have a ASUS A7V8X motherboard in my computer. I have winxp Pro running on my server and my workgroup name is: MSHOME. If anybody could help me just to get my internet to go through so that i can use it on my (linux) computer please help! thank you very much.

-haryy

Linux Guru
    Please note that this kind of workgroup that you're referring to is purely a Microsoft invention. It has no relation to Linux unless you're planning on using Samba to connect to your other Windows computers.
    Anyway, I assume that by Linux 8.0 you're really referring to RedHat Linux 8.0? If so, I'm a bit surprised that it didn't the NIC while installing. Do you know what chipset the NIC uses? (What driver does Windows use?)
    Are you sure that your network isn't already running, just using a configuration that's incompatible with the rest of your network? If it is RedHat 8.0 that you're using, you can check your network status with the "Network Device Control" program that you can find under "System Tools".

Just Joined!
    here is the info for the network driver:
    http://www.angelfire.com/dc/haryy/network.JPG
    yes i am using REaHat Linux 8.0. I will do anything to get my internet to run through it. I can use Samba but i ahve no clue as to what it is. As i said I am a total newbie to this. please help! thanks

-haryy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Samba is just the compatibilty application needed to access Microsoft networks from a UNIX system such as Linux.
    Anyway, that NIC isn't really a common one, is it? I managed to find this on google for you:
    http://www.redhat.org.gt/mailing-lis.../msg55343.html

Just Joined!
    thanks. Now i just need to figure out Samba.

-haryy