Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Have you tried installing it with the --force option?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Have you tried installing it with the --force option?

sam
    Just Joined!

java and force

No I don't know the force command. I have been clicking on the rpm file. Could you please give me the command?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Sorry, I was under the impression that you were already using the command line version, since you had been trying to uninstall it (which, AFAIK, is not possible from the GUI version). Anyway, like this:
    Code:
    rpm -ihv --force  j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586.rpm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    sam
    Just Joined!

java

Well after I heard --force I tried it but put it at the end of the command. It didn't give me the already installed and acted like it worked.

I downloaded j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    then I run chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    and ./j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    then I become root and run rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586.rpm
    with --force on the end and it did something. It still doesn't work in Mozilla Firebird 0.7.

Linux Guru
    For it to work in Mozilla, you need to install the Java plugin into the plugins directory as well. The plugin is available in the plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32 subdir of the JRE installation directory, which normally is /usr/java/j2re-{version}. I don't know exactly how Mozilla Firebird does its plugin work, though, so I can't help you with the exact procedure. Check mozilla.org for info if noone else can help you do that.

sam
    Just Joined!

java

I got Java installed successfully, copied the .so file into my Mozilla plugins directory and Mozilla actually reports that Java is installed and says everything is working. Now when I go to the Sun site to check my installation of Java or the TechTV chat room which requires Java, my Mozilla just exits like lightning and I'm back to my desktop.
    Maybe I'm just not meant to have Java.

Thanks again for your help.

Linux Guru
    That's a known problem. You cannot copy the .so file to the plugins directory. It's a bug in Sun's Java implementation that makes it segfault if you do that. Instead, you must symlink it into your plugins directory, something like this:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/wherever/the/so/file/is/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.where/mozilla/keeps/its/plugins

sam
    Just Joined!

java

Thank you again and again for the help. I read in one of the doc files about symlink but couldn't figure it out in the MAN pages. I'm so close now I can smell the brew in my little Java cup!

Thanks

sam
    Just Joined!

java

I got up to the symbolic link and failed with this;

ln: creating symbolic link `/root/.usr/local/mozilla/plugins' to `/usr/java/jsre1.4.2_03/plugins/i386/ns610-gss32/libjavaplugin_oji.so': No such file or directory

I don't know much about symlink but it reads like it was creating the symlink in the java directory instead of the mozilla directory. I don't know?

Linux Engineer
    try this:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/jsre1.4.2_03/plugins/i386/ns610-gss32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast