Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i am a little new myself to linux. /mnt/point is the directory you want to mount your directory in. I would call "point" something like "windows" so you don't get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i am a little new myself to linux. /mnt/point is the directory you want to mount your directory in. I would call "point" something like "windows" so you don't get confused, your command would look like:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdX /mnt/windows

be sure to create a directory in the /mnt directory called windows before you run the command. use mkdir command, in case you didn't know.

if you want this to work everytime you boot up you probably have to put this command in /etc/fstab along with some other options. you can do a man mount to get some more specifics.

Just Joined!
    i added that dir in /mnt/window and it added it but know i am havin the problem with this part "/dev/hdx" I tried to put "/dev/hd1" but nothing and then i went to look into that dir and there was no folders or files that said hdX or any hd things at all. How do i add that? I had both HDD's hooked up during installtion and my one 80 gig that i do have hooked up (with all of the windows files) is a NTFS partition. please help! thank you

-haryy

Linux Guru
    The x should be replaced with one letter and one number. The letter specifies where on the IDE bus the hard drive to be mounted is. a (lowercase!) is for the primary master, b for primary slave, c for secondary master, d for secondary slave, e for tertiary master and so on. The number specifies what partition on the hard drive to use. If there is only one partition, it should be 1. For example, if the file system you want to mount is in the first partition on your primary slave HDD, the complete file name is /dev/hdb1.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    /me sighs. These questions are getting so redundant(this isnt a good thing in this case). Can we make the search button like half the size of the screen and flashing red with a warning like "Search before you ask questions or a foot will come out of your box and stomp your ass"? Ok I am gonna go take my prozac now.

Just Joined!
    well i finally got the HDD mounted. Know it says that i dont have permissions to axs all of these. /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/cdrom2, /mnt/ disk, /mnt/floppy, /mnt/window (which is the windows partition)? How do i unlock them or how do i set my permissions differnet? thanks

-haryy

Linux Engineer
    Either chown them to your user or chmod 777 the dirs you want to access. You can also set permissions in fstab and with the mount command.

Just Joined!
    genlee: I have no clue how to do any of what you said and i dont knwo what you mean by chown either. I am sorry but this is all completely new to me.

-haryy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2