Find the answer to your Linux question:
i plan to buy a network card for a redhat 9 box....any recommendations which one I shud buy keeping in mind the ease of installing and configuring and the price...lol...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

network card

i plan to buy a network card for a redhat 9 box....any recommendations which one I shud buy keeping in mind the ease of installing and configuring and the price...lol
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Linux Guru
    I've never seen that matter in fact. Whatever NIC I've bought, it has always been possible to make it work with almost no troubles at all.

Linux User
    yeah...i guess so...i jus wanted to know if anyone here had, if at all any issues with any particular n/w card..
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Just Joined!
    The typical 10/100 network cards are pretty well supported. I personally own about 30 some network cards(I don't know where they all came from), and only a few of them don't work with Linux. I've only had one or two not work in Linux at all.

I've got one right here actually that was in a used AlphaServer I got a while back. It says "ETHERWORKS TURBO PCI CONTROLLER DE435". I know for sure that this wasn't recognized when I tried to install Debian on that thing, although the card itself might just be dead. I didn't try it on anything else.

The only other time I can think of was a model of card I tried to use in some big Compaq Proliant boxen. It wouldn't work, so I swapped it out for an intel EEPro 10/100, although I probably just didn't know the right module to load.

So Linux has very good support overall. Of course, if you want to use some other kind of NIC, like a 1000, 10000, FDDI, token ring, etc... they might not be as completely supported.

Just Joined!

3Com

Buy a 3C905B from 3Com.
    Linux recognized it immediately.