Find the answer to your Linux question:
Due to too many movies and other random crap, i have to go buy another HDD in a few days, and i thought it woudl be really cool, as well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

software raid setup

Due to too many movies and other random crap, i have to go buy another HDD in a few days, and i thought it woudl be really cool, as well as good for data security against hardware problems, to have the /home partition duplicate itself onto a partition on the second drive. no the home partition is not the 1 with all the movies, its only about 5gb.

so what i will have is 2 partitions of equal size (eg hda1 and hdb1).

and i want it so that whenever i modify the data on 1 of them the other 1 is changed as well. It does not have to do some tricky load half off each trick to get more speed although this would be nice as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Linux Guru
    That's the very purpose of RAID1. Read the Software RAID HOWTO for info on how to set it up.

The problem, however, is that you've already populated the target partition. To be honest, I'm not sure what is the best possible way tot transfer your current filesystem onto the RAID device. I have one idea, but I'm not 100% sure that it works, since I'm not sure if the RAID config can be changed once the device has been initalized.
    If it works, though, I would create a RAID1 device which only consists of the /dev/hdb1 partition. Create a filesystem on it, and copy all the files to it. After that, you should be able to (this is the point I'm not sure about) extend the RAID device config to include /dev/hda1 as well.