Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
How do you mean? How are you trying to access them?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

How do you mean? How are you trying to access them?

Just Joined!
    through (i odnt know what it is called) it's like a my computer. Not through the termonal emulator. just like in windows....my computer.

Just Joined!
    Its the Home place. It wont let me go onto the CD drive. I got my harddrive workin and everyhting. But know i cant get into the CDROM. any help would be greatly appreciated.

-haryy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Is that in GNOME or KDE?

Just Joined!
    KDE i believe

Linux Guru
    I can't say that I've ever used KDE extensively, so someone who has will have to help you instead.

Linux Newbie
    if you forget your root password it is easy to erase....... with red hat linux 8.0 you can boot off the redhat linux cd into rescue mode and alter /etc/shadow ....... once you have done this correctly the root password will be removed

and yes, the root user is unsafe for users who aren't total competant in what they are doing...... you have total control when logged in as root .... i only use it when i absolutely need to

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by haryy
    it says that i dont have permissions to axs all of these. /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/cdrom2, /mnt/ disk, /mnt/floppy, /mnt/window (which is the windows partition)? How do i unlock them or how do i set my permissions differnet? thanks how do i do it so that i odnt have to be in a termonla emulator?

-haryyv
    Use chown to change the ownership to your user so you can acess them or you can chmod them to give read/write permissions to all users. Might also want to use the users option in fstab so normal users can mount/unmount them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2