Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everybody, i have completed my linux machine named Linux Monster 2 (LOL) Mainboard MSI KT4AV CPU AMD AthlonXP 2400+ RAM 256MB DDR333 VGA Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000Pro DDR128MB w/TVOut ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ATI Drivers with RH9?

hello everybody,
    i have completed my linux machine named Linux Monster 2 (LOL)
    Mainboard MSI KT4AV
    CPU AMD AthlonXP 2400+
    RAM 256MB DDR333
    VGA Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000Pro DDR128MB w/TVOut & DVI
    Modem Winmodem Again! sh*t! Genius lucent
    HDD Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm (windows(es))
    HDD WD 6.4GB Linux RH9
    DVD/CD-RW Teac 16xDVD/40x/12x/40x
    Samsung 17" 753s Monitor
    and some other sh*t...etc.

downloaded ATI drivers from ati website for my R9000pro, and it said there are 3 xfree86s(?) 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3.
    anyways i downloaded all of 'em wiff da check.sh thingy man! LOL.
    runned sh check.sh as was said in the website to know which xfree86 ver i have and all it said that there was an error!
    so i have installed the 4.3 one assuming that rh9 is the latest so it should have the most updated xfree86 ver.
    it said that a redhat openGL lib is conflicting with the ATI rpm file so i forced the rpm installation as per ati's website readme file.
    asking me alot of questions most of them i don't get i hated the installation coz i don't like the idea of answering questions i don't understand, then it wrote a file xfree86-config-4 or something and restarted the x window system to find that eveything is just the same but with 'Unknown card' and 'unknown monitor' on display window, did i do something wrong? when changed their names (i wrote the names not chosen them from the menu) it said that it will go back to the original xfree86-config thingy and restarted the x window system again...
    help?

thanx in advance,
    XT
    Registered Linux User # 368300 at Linux Counter

Linux Newbie
    hello?
    no linux champs? anybody with ATI and Linux have you installed the driver?

XT

Linux Guru
    Sorry, I try to stay away from closed-source drivers.

Linux Newbie
    closed source? why closed source? you see i am a financial controller with high interest in computer things (i even assemble my own computers) but i have no good background in programming or things like that, i mean in windows i am an advanced user and i do most of the stuff myself, and now i want to do the same with linux
    so i cannot really tell what's open source and what's closed source.

XT

Linux Engineer
    closed source: the source code for the program is *not* freely available and in the case of proprietary software you are not allowed to freely redistribute it.

open source: the source code *is* freely available and you *are* allowed to redistribute the program freely.

edit: these are *very* general definitions.. for better definitions of the two software models, i suggest reading some of the documentation on http://www.gnu.org
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru
    See this link - it describes the very core of the philosophy of Linux:
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Much more available here:
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html