Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The tick is when the selected featured is compiled into the kernel image that you will boot. The round dot is when the feature is compiled as a module that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The tick is when the selected featured is compiled into the kernel image that you will boot. The round dot is when the feature is compiled as a module that can be loaded afterwards, and the triangle indicates a submenu. If you click the triangle, it will take you into the submenu.

Just Joined!
    so normally what shld i choose??
    a tick or a round button??

Linux Guru
    That depends very much on the specific feature... I usually choose to compile as a module as often as possible, but some things have to be in the kernel. For example, if your root filesystem is ext3, then it's unwise to compile ext3 support as a module (since you won't be able to mount the filesystem without the module and you won't able to load the module without mounting the filesystem...).

My general rule of thumb is to compile as modules whenever possible, but it's really up to you.

Just Joined!
    alright, thanks for helping a lot
    one last ques..u sure after make config at the correct settings will make my connection n mouse work??

Linux Guru
    As long as you do it correctly, it's not hard to make something that worked in a 2.4 kernel work in 2.6 one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2