Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, i have a problem. recently i updated my kernel to 2.6.1, the problem is i cant access the internet in 2.6.1, also i think 2.6.1 doesnt support USB mounting, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel 2.6.1 problem

hi, i have a problem. recently i updated my kernel to 2.6.1, the problem is i cant access the internet in 2.6.1, also i think 2.6.1 doesnt support USB mounting, and i cant use my USB mouse.
    anyone here can teach me how to make internet access for kernel 2.6.1 and also enable my usb mouse. Lastly, are there good articles to teach u how to uninstall the 2.6.1 kernel?????

thanks a lot

Linux User
    Hi
    Could u tell us what is ur modem?
    Me I've got a speedtouch usb which works quite fine.Are u shure to have activated the right options in the kernel config concerning usb?

Just Joined!
    alright, i did not config anything during my setting up of the 2.6.1 kernel.
    i just follow the steps as in copy the system.map and bzImage and all. Ok, how do i setup my ISB mouse with my 2.6.1 kernel and also how do i setup my internet connection. Cause when i do a ifconfig, i get 127.0.0.1 which is a loopback address?????? v confused..i m a super newbie to linux.
    thanks

Just Joined!
    Before you build your kernel, you have to make your configuration. go to your kernel source and type make menuconfig, or if your are running X, then make xconfig for a qt configuration, or make gconfig for a gtk configuration.

Go through all that, trimming options and adding them as you deem neccisary, then build the kernel like you had.

Linux Guru
    When it comes to USB, 2.6 works just like 2.4. I'm guessing you did something wrong with your modules. What happens if you run lsmod?

Just Joined!
    thats y i find it strange....in 2.4 i can use my usb mouse, in 2.6 i cant, instead, i can use my mouse pad which is on my laptop. I cant suft the net too in 2.6.1 . Can someone tell me what are modules???? i mean this is how i compile:

make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install

make config/make menuconfig is something too long...i do not know how to configure it properly.
    Lastly, what shld i do to make my internet connection work?? i am using a school network eth0. So basically by just pluggin in the network cable shld work.

Linux Guru
    Modules are basically code that can be plugged into the kernel. Many drivers are distributed as modules, for example. Can you check what output you get if you run the lsmod command?

Also, you really should go through the menuconfig. You probably won't get a good kernel otherwise.

Just Joined!
    i ran lsmod, theres nothing came out.
    i also ran the make meniconfig, but there is too many things to be configured, and i m not sure what is for what. Do u know what part in my menuconfig can i make my internet connection work for eth0 in a sch network and my usb mouse to work?????

thanks

Linux Guru
    Well, I'm sorry to tell you, but going through all that is one of the things that you have to do when compiling a kernel. It can very well take an hour or more if it's the first time you do it. Just remember that there is a help button that explains each option.

Just Joined!
    alright...thanks.....but can u do me a favour??
    go to usr/src/linux-2.6.1 and type make xconfig
    ok when u get there, u will see a list of options all for configuring.
    Now my ques is, what are the symbols for??
    as in the TICK, the ROUND RADIO BUTTON n THE TRIANGLE.??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast