Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently installed the basics of Fedora Core 1 onto an old 400MHz PC to use as a hardware firewall/router/proxy. The install I choose was the basic setup only and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing a graphic desktop

I've recently installed the basics of Fedora Core 1 onto an old 400MHz PC to use as a hardware firewall/router/proxy. The install I choose was the basic setup only and no graphical desktop was installed, I just have the old DOS prompt kind of thing. However, since I am completely new to Linux - I haven't got a clue about script commands etc and can't even get the thing to connect via my dial-up.

How do I go about adding the Xwindows desktop? I have a feeling that if I have a graphic desktop, at least I might start getting somewhere. I have the original 3 CD's from the latest distro but can you keep you answers simple, as Linux is still completely strange to me.

Linux Guru
    It's not completely easy to add packages to an installation from the shell, since you have to add all dependencies manually. When installing X and a desktop, there are many dependencies.

If you want to add X and a desktop, I would recommend that you install anew instead.

Just Joined!
    Hi - thanks for your advise... I've been trying for 2 months now to get a working Linux and I'm starting to lose faith in this o/s > it's just too hard, and I have over 20 years of experiance in computing. I might stick with that other o/s made by that money grabbing company from the US. At least I can get things to work on that...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    as a possible work around, just to get you started.

The console way of connecting to the internet is by the
    Code:
    wvdial
    command.

As explained elsewhere in thiis forum, you can configure wvdial using the
    Code:
    wvdialconf
    command. I suggest that you tell it to use the /etc/wvdial.conf file to hold you configuration.

Once you've done that, simply enter
    Code:
    wvdial
    and it will dial the internet up (putting log messages ionto the screen and into /var/log/messages (from where you can access them by enteriing "tail --lines 45 /var/log/messages"). Once you are connected, switch to another console (Ctrl Alt F2 or F3 or F4, you get the idea) and start ftp or lynx (which is a text only web browser) or perhaps pine (email).

If you have a winmodem (ie PCI internal modem) check out the tutorial section in this forum for a howto on them.

Another way around it, of course, is simply to re-instal fedora and ask for Gnome and ICEWM (which is a VERY cut down window manager that won't flog your CPU to death). Let's face it, the fedora load will take you, maybe an two hours.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Thanks Nerderello,

I'll try that next time I give it a go...

my pleasure.

Just to give you a guide, I used to run Fedora 1 core on a 500mhz Celeron based PC, and found that KDE staggered a bit, while Gnome was okay, if a bit slow.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS