Find the answer to your Linux question:
couple of questions... first, i finally got on the internet using two redhat 9 machines as clients behind wingate server (luck). im setting up file sharing with samba, but am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

samba and redhat and messy

couple of questions... first, i finally got on the internet using two redhat 9 machines as clients behind wingate server (luck). im setting up file sharing with samba, but am running into problems.
    1st: i have the samba server configuration gui program, and have set shares with read/write permission available to all users but the only place my windows can move a file is into the /tmp directory. why? and how do i fix? i tried to create a directory called storage on linux box (thats what machine gonna be used for, linux was just for fun) and share it but wont let me write from any of my windows comps... please help =(
    second - how do i use linux to view other computers and their shared files within my network? ie anything like network neighborhood for linux or some command line that lets me get in there? as far as i know you should be allowed to exchange files over a network regardless of OS... any advice would be great thanks in advance =)

Linux Engineer
    in konqueror (and i think in nautilus) u type smb:/ and it lists all the computers in your samba workgroup. Ive never tried any samba gui configs, but if u open /etc/samba/smb.conf down the bottom should be a bunch of files/folders u have shared, to be and to save to a directory (this is different if u autheticated as someone) u need the config file to have public=yes and writeable=yes for each directory u want shared.

Just a side note: nautilis does not have support for the smb:/ browsing protocol by default. I've looked, but been unsuccessful in finding anything on how to get it to support smb:/, so AFAIK it's not possible.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    yeah it is, i have a button on my gnome menu called view network, it opens up some sort of network thing listing computers, and when u click on one it shows up with fodlers called samba, ssh, nfs and i think theres a fourth one. note: these only show up if the services/shares are avlible on the clients.

no i dotn know how its set up, i think it came that way.

Linux User

redhat fedora

on redhat 9 and fedora core nautilus does have support for smb:

I use smb:/// to list them. However, it does have issues with browsing elections. you need a WINS server running - the samba box would make a good WINS server.

You need to check that the linux file permissions on these shares is correct. And that the user authentication is working. Or allow guest access and map the guest account to a valid linux user account.

I wouldn't use the GUI as they have only ever made things harder. Can you access the share yourself from the linux box and copy things to it?

from a terminal run:
    smbclient -L \\SERVERNAME -U username

that should list all available shares

Use "man smbclient" to find out the other commands. you can connect to yourself using smb and copy files to various folders. Make sure this works.

to connect to the server for stuff use
    smbclient \\SERVERNAME -U username

then use various commands (from man page) to try and copy a file.

Also. What OS are the other clients using? could be important as Win 95/98/ME work differently to NT/2000/XP/2003.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.