Find the answer to your Linux question:
what are dependencies? what is tcl/tk? what is APT? what's the difference between gnome and kde, and what's the best for a newbie to use? what's the latest kernel version? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

few questions

what are dependencies?
    what is tcl/tk?
    what is APT?
    what's the difference between gnome and kde, and what's the best for a newbie to use?
    what's the latest kernel version? (there are two versions of linux in my grub bootloader since i updated my whole system)

Linux Guru
    A dependency is just what it sounds like - when applied to packages it specifies what packages other packages depend on. For example, to install GNOME, you need the X packages.

TCL is a primitive scripting language. Tk is an add-on for TCL that provides a Motif GUI for it.

APT is one of Debian's tools for package management.

There are many differences between GNOME and KDE, but most of them are programmatical. I think they are about equal in user-friednlyness, but in my opinion, GNOME is built on a much better programmatical base.

The latest kernel version is 2.6.1, but you probably don't want to upgrade to 2.6 right now. The latest version of the 2.4 branch is 2.4.24.