Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question can someone help me with password

a couple years ago i had an account on a web site that used linux . I still have the username but I have forgotten the password. I would look data up in my computer but I have gotten a new one since then. is there any program or any suggestions?I have heard of dictonary "crackers" but im not sure what to use in my case. all comments greatly appreacted

still need help

let me go a little more in depth. I have an account which i havent accessed in about 2 years. The site on which i have an account uses a linux server. I have forgotten my password to the account and I am not sure of how to re-obtain the password, if there is any way.I have heard of "cracking software/adware" which scans through the dictonary to find the password, is there an easier way? and if not what software/ad ware should I use to get my password back

Linux Guru
    There is definitely an easier way. How about just mailing the administrator in charge of the web site and ask him to reset the password of that account? You definitely shouldn't be trying to use a dictionary cracker, since that would be frowned upon by any sysadmin, who would probably report you to your ISP.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

still stumped

i have sent a few emails, but all they said was sorry they couldnt access my file, but i could create a new one, i made a new one, but the old one had some important info on it.

Linux Guru
    -->
    That sounds a bit weird to me. I can only think that the reason for that kind of response would be incompetence on their part, which doesn't seem quite right. Would you mind posting the exact message of their reply? Maybe I (or someone else here) can help them help you.