Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Do the upgrade ... smoothwall v2 is a much better system. I've used it on several machines now and its great. Using an old version like that only leaves you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Do the upgrade ... smoothwall v2 is a much better system. I've used it on several machines now and its great. Using an old version like that only leaves you open to vulnerabilities that have since been fixed in the newer versions.

Just Joined!
    I suspect that even if I reinstall it, I may just get this error message again.
    How do I get smoothwall v2 ?
    Would it work on my existing hardware - an HP P1 desktop with 96Mb RAm and 2Gb hard drive ?

Just Joined!
    It should ...
    You can get the new version as an iso from www.smoothwall.org (free to download)
    As for the hardware, it may be a bit chunky but it should work. has all the same features just updated version. Mine runs on a P90 with 64 MB ram and a 6 gig drive.

You may be right though, your system may be the cause of the problem. There are a few things you can check ...
    Memtest86.com also offers a bootable ISO to test memory and seagate also has a similar ISO for checking hard drives that you can get for free. Eliminate the hardware issues and then smoothwall V2 shouldn't be an issue.

Linux Guru
    If you can't download them with your modem, which might be understandable, you might try visiting a school or university nearby. If you're kind enough, they usually let you borrow a computer for these purposes.

Just Joined!
    I can download v2 from my work office.
    As I am new to Linux, ie. only know a few commands as I was "weaned on Microsoft products since the late 1980s", I am not sure how v2 on a CD would work ? Would I just need to install the CD to my PC and boot it up from the CD or do I need a floppy disk as well ?

You may be right though, your system may be the cause of the problem. There are a few things you can check ...
    Memtest86.com also offers a bootable ISO to test memory and seagate also has a similar ISO for checking hard drives that you can get for free. Eliminate the hardware issues and then smoothwall V2 shouldn't be an issue.
    I will check what hard drive I have and test it using the above - thank you.

Just Joined!
    As long as your machine can boot from the cd rom it should be pretty straight forward.

As for a disk checker... check out Barts disk Tool ( http://www.nu2.nu/utils/ )

Its free and will work on any drive. Just put the two files onto a bootable floppy and you should be good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2