Find the answer to your Linux question:
oddly enough... the samba share to a /storage directory i created as public to any user with read/write priveleges still wont let me write to it. any reasons why that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

still battling samba

oddly enough... the samba share to a /storage directory i created as public to any user with read/write priveleges still wont let me write to it. any reasons why that is?

heres the weirdest thing to me:
    i also have a same all access share to the root directory on 2 linux boxes. i am ONLY able to move files into the /tmp directory, anywhere else it gives me access denied. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP IM RUNNING OUT OF HAIR TO PULL!!!!! thanx in advance

Linux Guru
    I'm fairly sure that you have to enable write access explicitly in smb.conf. Would you mind posting the corresponding section from it?

Just Joined!
    id like to but im not sure which part you want... i had to reinstall today because when i opened up smb.conf and tried some new stuff my redhat-config-samba stopped working entirely even after reboot, and then again even after i removed then added it back into system. one thing i dont get is that in smb. conf writeable is spelled "writable" in all of the examples, but redhat-config-samba uses the correct spelling when specifying writeability. its a mute point anyway because neither spelling corrected my problem. heres what i have for a single share to a RAID partition mounted to /storage:

[storage]
    path=/storage
    writeable=yes
    guest ok=yes

it is important to know that i can see and open this folder from win xp and win 2000 and i can see lost & found but cant open to view it. my problem, again, is writing from these machines to the new drive, and its a big problem because this computer is meant to solely be extra storage.
    i've also tried putting public=yes into [storage], and as previously stated i've tried changing the spelling of writeable to the spelling they use in the .conf file. hopefully this is enough to get a workable answer. thanks again.

Linux Guru
    OK... did you set the right UNIX permissions on /storage itself?

Just Joined!

if you mean

with chmod no i just discovered that command. hopefully thats what you mean because if not im about to do more severe damage to my comp lol. thx for walking me through this and please let me know if chmod is the right thing to do thanx

Linux Newbie
    Code:
    su
    chmod 777 /storage
    that will make the directory /storage to be read,write,execute for everyone