Find the answer to your Linux question:
kay I need some major help....I recently installed Linux Mandriva 2006 and I don't know how to get AMSN working. I installed it and I got the login screen up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Amsn

kay I need some major help....I recently installed Linux Mandriva 2006 and I don't know how to get AMSN working. I installed it and I got the login screen up and I try to log in, then it tells me I need a TLS file, I downloaded the TLS file and I don't know what to do now plz help

1) Not a great idea to post your email address on a public forum: you're just asking for spam, so I'd edit the post if I were you.

2) Exactly what errors come up, and when? (we love detail )

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Banned
    try
    Code:
     urpmi amsn
    It will prob get all the deps for you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

amsn error msg

this is the error message that comes up

k it says exaclty this:

Error installing TLS module:: couldn't open socket: connection refused

I'm very confused

Put Tls folder (tls-1.5) here: /usr/share/amsn and configure it:
    Amsn: Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Others | TLS > and paste /usr/share/amsn/tls-1.5

Just Joined!
    in autoupdate.tcl you need to change "http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/amsn/tls1.4.1" to "http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/amsn/tls1.4.1" after this you should be able to download the tls module.

Just Joined!
    ahh, kk i have mandrive 2007, i dont have an amsn folder in share and i dont have an autoupdate.tcl, let see i have that TLS error, i went into amsn preferences and TLs and i put where i had TLS which /usr/lib/tls1.5 but it didnt work stll, and umm i cant find autoupdate.tcl, i ahve an autopackage, but its not the same, i also went into package. cant remember bt i change "package ifneed 1.5" to package ifneed 1.50", but it wont let me change it, how can do this thru root console? any help? please, would be appreciated....................................... .....my amsn is /home/administartor(my username)/tmp/amsn-0.96RC1,
    did i download it to the wrong place?

Talking Changing root files

bt i change "package ifneed 1.5" to package ifneed 1.50", but it wont let me change it, how can do this thru root console?
    Be sure to make any backups before you proceed! (If you can't make a backup becuase you need root acces, just make a backup using terminal to copy the files you are about to change via
    mkdir /Home/*username*/amsn_backupfiles
    cp /*files you want to change* /Home/*username*/amsn_backupfiles

Okay, now on to changing the file. Well, it's pretty simple. Copy the package file that you want to change into your Home or any other non-root directory.
    mkdir /Home/*username*/amsn_changes
    cp /*files you want to change* /Home/*username*/amsn_changes

Make any changes you need to the file in the /Home/*username*/amsn_changes directory. When you're done changing it, copy the changed files into the root directory:
    cp /Home/*username*/amsn_changes/*changed file* /*amsn directory offiles you want to change*

When prompted if you want to overwrite the original file, type "yes" and press enter.

Just Joined!
    thanks, i finally got it running

Changing root files

Glad to heat you got it working!

BTW, there is a (much) easier way to edit root files than the one described in my previous post. Here's how: But first, make backups using method in previous post.

In terminal, become root
    Code:
    su
    and type in your password.

Next, simply
    Code:
    gedit /*amsn file you want to change*
    And then just save changes in the editor and you're done!
    Much easier than the method in my previous post.
    Lol, I was a nix n00b back then.