Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay: here is what I want my Mandrake to do. On bootup, I want it to read from the /etc/hostname file, and set the hostname accordingly. If I put "#hostname ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hostname

Okay: here is what I want my Mandrake to do. On bootup, I want it to read from the /etc/hostname file, and set the hostname accordingly. If I put "#hostname foo" in rc.local my hostname will be foo, but it is run after KDM has started. So KDM will show up dhcppc2, instead of foo, until i restart X server. When I boot up, I want to see "Welcome to foo". Here is a line of my rc.sysinit file:

HOSTNAME='/usr/bin/hostname'
    That is where it's being set to dhcpp2. How can I get it to read from the first line of /etc/hostname? Or is there something else I can do?

PS: This isn't a big problem; I just want to know how to solve this. It's really boterhing me

Just Joined!
    I can get it to work by setting the default runlevel in inittab to 3, and then in rc.local have a
    hostname $(cat < /etc/hostname)
    init 5

but its a lot slower, CUPS and other daemons usually initilize while KDM is being brought up.

Linux Guru
    I'm guessing that you get the dhcppc2 hostname when aquiring an address over DHCP, right? In that case, I think the best way would be to find a way to make the DHCP client daemon leave the hostname alone. Most DHCP client daemon have an option to do just that. I don't know what DHCP client daemon Mdk uses, though, so I can't answer that explicitly. Looking at the manpage should yield the answer, though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks a lot! i turned GETHOSTNAME to no, and ti works great! thanks man!