Find the answer to your Linux question:
:drown: GOD!! I wrote such a big post and its all gone...no why? Firefox crashed . This forum rocks! This is what I started with in the last post. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Linux novice

:drown: GOD!! I wrote such a big post and its all gone...no why? Firefox crashed .

This forum rocks! This is what I started with in the last post. I ll keep this post a s focussed as it can be but please bear with me and my spelling mistake.

I am a windows user since I was 10; now am 23. I had given linux a try back when REDHAT was introduced. Way back, cant remember when. I used it for 2 hours and back on windows. Following are the few reasons I want to get away from windows asap

1) I dont want to pay to bill gates just for selling something that is NOT AT ALL USER FRIENDLY!! I cant pay for updates or versions they come with.
    2) I dont want resource hungry OS. They have some joint venture or big profit business with intel, i guess! The moment they come with a new version my old hw needs upgrade or dump. Why?? Ok want to get vista, get on with a gig of ram. Good enough!
    3) I want something more stable and I dont wnat blue screen of death ever.

I have 10.1CE Mandrake cd's with me. Installed it but dunno how to boot from external drive. Downloaded UBUNTU and has booted up as well. But still skeptic before using it coz:

1. I have no clue about any AV or firewall.
    2. Here is why I use my pc::
      • Occ for games but I am not a gamer. Mostly online
      • I use MS Office alot. I ll need it. I think officeopen will do it, right?
      • I want to have software so taht I can listen to .vox files.
      • I have loads of mp3 and 5mp3 players (including car, portable). I dont know how to deal with FLAC. Do we have some batch converter? I would love to save space. Also, while burning i want that software should automatically, by itself, convert from FLAC to mp3. I would love it if its possible
      • I want to learn programming linux. I know programming. But i want to get into soft development. My project is to build something nice looking distro which gives me what i want.

Having said all. I want you guys to help me with some distro. I would love to see what I can shift to. Before getting into one I want to know all. I have read webthingys post too. But I dont want to pay for downloading any distro, though xandros is good, atleast it appeared to be good. Coz one distro is "Translation: Windows to linux" Hehe it is gonna be good one.
    I know everyone have a pref. But I want to get a distro that have everything (for desktop, development and security), its nice looking, its not resource hungry. Not to forget its gonna be my first babystep.

TIA for reading my post, for putting efforts to help me and bearing with me.

Quote Originally Posted by compugen
    [*] I have no clue about any AV or firewall.
    AV is not necessary at all, you can pass on that.
    Firewall on any OS is essential, there are many GUIs that will help you configure one: firestarter, shorewall, fwbuilder, gnome-lokkit, etc.

Occ for games but I am not a gamer.
    You can use Wine to make some MS games work:
    http://frankscorner.org/

[*]I use MS Office alot. I ll need it. I think officeopen will do it, right?
    Open Office (version 2.02) is very good. Or you can install MS Office in Wine if you like.

[*] I have loads of mp3 and 5mp3 players (including car, portable). I dont know how to deal with FLAC. Do we have some batch converter? I would love to save space. Also, while burning i want that software should automatically, by itself, convert from FLAC to mp3. I would love it if its possible
    Yes, that is very much doable, you can listen to any music format easily, on any Linux distro. You just need the right codecs (not installed by default on most distro, but not a problem).

[*] I want to learn programming linux. I know programming. But i want to get into soft development.
    Do it! I guess you can try Python, it's a good one to start.

Having said all. I want you guys to help me with some distro.
    Only you can choose the right distro.

Myself I like Debian, but it's all a matter of taste. I tryed a lot of distro before finding the right one for me. Reading about it not enough: you have to experience, until you find your match.

Try this quiz maybe...
    http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks for swift reply. It gave me almost all options that i was planning to choose from
    Taking it again.

Just Joined!
    Gosh! Linux is something. Admitted its fast. I dont wander here and there thinking what to do know why? Coz I have plenty to learn. I downloaded that automatic GUI based installer and installed firefox but now its not working. I dunno how to start it and i feel completely lost in ubuntu. I have used kde earlier. Never knew that gnome is this different. Though the games took most of the time, loved playing them . Now first thing first, I want to have a boot cd which can transfer my system to boot from USB. Any ideas on that? And most importantly how do i run firefox again in ubuntu?

I downloaded that automatic GUI based installer and installed firefox but now its not working. I dunno how to start it and i feel completely lost in ubuntu.
    "automatic GUI based installer"?

You might want to look here as of how to install software in Ubuntu:
    http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing.html

Good old apt-get or synaptic should be your tools of choice.

Which version of Ubuntu did you install?

Dapper?
    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper

Or Breezy?
    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    For sure it is breezy. I ordered the drapper from site. I couldn't find it. But i ll prefer installing that one. Since I know it would be having recent soft. If you have the links do send me please.
    Tried on synaptic but was all over my head. This is what I tried installing first::
    Yahoo messenger for linux.deb
    firefox.tar.gz

For yahoo msngr i went to terminal and did sud something from root. It was on the website. It showed some errors and then in synaptic it was in broken packages which got removed when I selected. For firefox i unzipped it and thats it coz i have no clue how to get it working from synaptic. I used some application which was starting with "A". Donwloaded from internet and installed it. It came up with GUI to install software I selected firefox and thats it. It was mentioned over ubuntu forums but now am unable to locate the link as it was on the UBUNTU system. I cant access net from there so I am using windwos again.
    Secondly, can you please help me out with booting USB from CDR? I read so many things over the net but was tough luck getting past even single one. My pc is having USB FDD and USB ZIP as options but they both are not working. I planned to have a cdr in that case.

Thanks alot for being so helpful

Ok, there a few different ways to install Firefox.

• The easiest one is to use Ubuntu's Firefox package. With this method you don't need to download anything manualy.

• You can use apt-get:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install firefox
        will install it.

Both these will automatically configure the shortcuts and menu.

• Or you can install it manualy using the .tar.gz file from the Mozilla's site. It is not very hard, but the Ubuntu's package way is the simplest by far. I don't recommend this until you are a little more confortable with the OS.

The most important thing for you right now is to learn how to use synaptic, and even apt-get.

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Ok! here is what I had done till now. Have selected synaptic to do the thing. It came up with 167 Updates. Updated all of them, that included kernel as well. Now its 2.6.10 something. I was not doing that sudo thing on terminal. Do we have to do it for every package that is downloaded?
    If yes how will i come to know which package the synaptic downloaded??

Just Joined!
    Ok now i give up!! Its not working. I ll get dapper.

Meanwhile I was giving it a thought last night. Here are few probs:
    1) My laptop fan doesnt seem to work in ubuntu. Coz as soon as i reboot fan goes on and at times while using ubuntu it gets heated up.
    2) Reloading the thing gonna help me, i guess.
    3) Installation is still a problem. Got through the links and understood everything. Now question is: If synaptic downloads everything wont it install by itself? Coz it updates nearly everything and then recalling 160 packs is tough. I can install 160 packs again!! I know am ignorant on this and theres a work around.
    4) I will need a bootloader on CD which can transfer the system to the USB port since bios is not having that support.
    5) I am planning to put two linux distros. Ubuntu and then one for desktop. Desktop thing I thougt i ll have mandrake but was out of luck on external disk. Planning to get SUSE today. Please let me know if we have something good. The test says "SUSE, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Kubutu".
    6) I ll am planning to install ubuntu on laptop with dual part XP pro. First i ll use it for sometime and then i ll do it.

Please help me with the issues and suggestions...

Desperate to turn to linux coz i know its worth more than just an OS!