Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, wondered if somone could help me out a bit, I have just converted to linux fedora core and is trying to set up some things. I tried look trough ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora core newbie needin some help.

Hello, wondered if somone could help me out a bit, I have just converted to linux fedora core and is trying to set up some things.

I tried look trough this forum on these subjects and found some very old threads related to them but what was written seemed like an alien language which my mind would need a enigma coding machine to figure out in my lack of experience with linux.

first is how to get installed Winrar/RAR, I downloaded the package and extracted, how do I proceed from there? (To mention, I still haven`t worked out many commandlines yet.)

Second, having some trouble with Cedega and half-life 2 I get it to run but bad fps and only windowed (whenever I try run it fullscreen theres no way to change resultion except using the desktop resolution) and doesn`t respond when I click any of the options available at the start screen, start game, etc.

Any help would be very appriciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlian
    first is how to get installed Winrar/RAR, I downloaded the package and extracted, how do I proceed from there? (To mention, I still haven`t worked out many commandlines yet.)
    First of all, welcome, and know that Linux is not Microsoft Windows, so you won't be able to run most MS Windows software on it well or at all. If you need something extracted from a RAR file, I suggest you use something like UnRAR.

Second, having some trouble with Cedega and half-life 2 I get it to run but bad fps and only windowed (whenever I try run it fullscreen theres no way to change resultion except using the desktop resolution) and doesn`t respond when I click any of the options available at the start screen, start game, etc.
    Did you properly install the 3D accelerated drivers for your display card? What kind of display card do you have?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

wow that was quick.

thanks for the help with the first problem (discovered I could just do it trough livna) and glad to be aboard. Yes well aware of the differences between linux and windows.

uhm, I use a geForce fx 5200 Ultra, and yes I am sure I have the latest drivers in place.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok. Well, even on MS Windows a 5200 Ultra isn't going to run HalfLife 2 terribly well. Add to that the fact that the code has to be translated by Cedega and you're going to have to expect some performance problems.

As for the resolution thing: make sure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file has entries for all the resolutions (not just the one you're currently using on your desktop) such as "1024x768" "800x600" and "640x480". It's possible that Cedega is trying to reduce the resolution of the game due to your hardware and X Windows doesn't have an entry for that resolution.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I see, I had no problems running HL2 under windows though with medicore graphics and all, but I understand that its not up to the recommendated cards to use.

... uhm not to sound like a complete nimcop, but I don`t know what /etc/X11/xorg.conf is, or where it is located. If you could explain it a bit more filling I might understand this, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlian
    ... uhm not to sound like a complete nimcop, but I don`t know what /etc/X11/xorg.conf is, or where it is located. If you could explain it a bit more filling I might understand this, thanks.
    Your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is located in the directory /etc/X11/ and it's named xorg.conf. You can only look at (not edit) it as a regular user, but you can at least check the contents first. Toward the bottom of the file there should be a section that looks similar to this:

Code:
      Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
            Virtual     640 1024
        EndSubsection
    Your monitor's default resolution should be listed first. (For me it's 1280x1024.) This is followed by other resolutions you'd like to use, in descending order. If you're missing these lines your X Windows will not know how to display those resolutions, which might explain why HL2 won't run full-screen.

To add these lines you'll need to log in as root user (open up a console, type su and enter, then give your root (Administrator) password when it asks. To edit the file type this:

Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Scroll down to the spot I indicated above using the arrow keys, type in the extra resolutions above exactly, and when you're done hit CTRL+X. The program will ask if you'd like to save. Say yes and save it under the same name it had originally (/etc/X11/xorg.conf). Note that Linux filenames are case sensitive.

Finally you'll want to restart your X Server, so hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and re-login to your desktop. Then try HL2 again.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

thanks

Thanks, I got the resolution thing solved, now I just need to get the framerate better. I appriciate the quick help here. =)