Find the answer to your Linux question:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When I install the driver I get a message saying that it can't find the kernel. I am presuming it is talking about a nvidia kernel as I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile NEWBIE - I have recently installed Fedora 5 - having troubles install NVIDIA drivers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I install the driver I get a message saying that it can't find the kernel. I am presuming it is talking about a nvidia kernel as I have checked that the main kernel for the system has been install from the DVD I downloaded fedora core 5 from. Any ideas on what I have to do? The nvidia installer thingy tries to build a kernel but then it goes pear shaped and says I need to download a kernel. As I am a newbie I forgot to write down exactly what it says - whoops - should I try it again? I am in INIT 3 when I try to install the driver by the way... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, I have downloaded the latest drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by nickos99
    When I install the driver I get a message saying that it can't find the kernel. I am presuming it is talking about a nvidia kernel as I have checked that the main kernel for the system has been install from the DVD I downloaded fedora core 5 from. Any ideas on what I have to do?
    Its not that it can't find your Linux kernel, its that it can't find the "right" Linux kernel on your system. You'll need to install the nvidia driver that matches the kernel version you are currently using. The easiest (but not necessarily the most elegant) way for you to do this would be the following:

1. First make sure you have the most recent kernel. Go to Applications > System Tools > Software Updater. When the list of packages appears, there should be something along the lines of "Updated kernel packages available". If there isn't, it means you already have the most recent kernel and can skip down to step 2 below. If there is, make sure that's checked, then click Apply Updates, then reboot when done.

2. Open up a terminal and type "yum -y --enablerepo livna install kmod-nvidia". This should download and install the right driver package for you automatically. When done, you'll have to kill x and start x to use the driver. If you know how to do this, go for it. If not, just reboot again.

Just Joined!

Exclamation Clueless in Michigan

I cannot seem to find a posting with the entire answer neatly packaged for me (ha).

When I execute the following:yum -y --enablerepo livna install kmod-nvidia
    I get: "...repository not found"

Is there a resource where I can go to and get all the steps once and for all?

Quote Originally Posted by john_klaassen
    Is there a resource where I can go to and get all the steps once and for all?
    As a matter of fact, yes. Try Stanton Finley's directions.

Smile

hi john_klaassen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by john_klaassen
    When I execute the following:yum -y --enablerepo livna install kmod-nvidia
    I get: "...repository not found"
    yum is best way to do everything at once...
    to use livna repository download livna-release-5.rpm from
    http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html and follow instructions given on this site...

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First