Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Dolda, I was just experimenting with some other window managers just to make sure the problem was not particular with KDE. I tried twm and the result was the same. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

thanks

Dolda,

I was just experimenting with some other window managers just to make sure the problem was not particular with KDE. I tried twm and the result was the same. Twm did manage to execute .Xresources. Perhaps I should be looking at the kderc file to make sure that it executes this file instead of .Xdefaults. I believe I read that .Xdefaults is the old way of doing things.
    Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that you think Java is not the source of this problem. For some reason, Debian supports blackdown Java instead of Sun's implementation. Being a Sun ceritified Java programmer, I like to use Sun's version.
    I'm going to upgrade the two packages from the testing source of debian(currently I'm using stable). Hopefully, this will solve this mystery. I'm very shocked that this is happening on a debian system but I guess all things are subject to mistakes.
    By the way, I plan to install Redhat 8 when I can afford another hard drive. I'll need to use it to become familiar with it. Doesn't Redhat now support apt with rpm? That sure would make things easier.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    apt-get isnt officially supported by redhat but there is a project on sourceforge for it. I wouldn't use apt-get on a production enviroment but I did use it on my personally workstation and liked it a lot.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

I updated the X server but the problem still arises. I'm not running xfs at all. Could this be the problem? Anyhow, I know I'm running debian but here are what my packages look like for X related packages
    Code:
    [brock@parker ch02]$ apt-show-versions -p xf -r
    xfonts-base/stable uptodate 4.1.0-16
    xserver-xfree86/testing uptodate 4.2.1-3
    xfonts-scalable/stable uptodate 4.1.0-16
    xfonts-75dpi/stable uptodate 4.1.0-16
    xfree86-common/stable uptodate 4.1.0-16
    Here's what my font path looks like in XF86Config file
    Code:
    Section "Files"
            FontPath        "unix/:7100"                    # local font server
            # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
            FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
            FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
            FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
            FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
            FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
            FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
            FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype"
    EndSection
    The truetype fonts are used in Mozilla. Do you think its necessary for me to run a X true type fonts server? It still works alright without it.
    What could possibly be causing this problem? I can install xfs 4.1.0-16 for the X fonts server. Since I'm really new at all this X related matter, I really appreciate your input.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I must admit that I have no clue. If I were in this situation, I'd start debugging emacs from source.

Linux Engineer

not giving up

Dolda,

Well, thanks for all your help. Can you tell me the function of xfs? I've been getting along fine without it and would like to know as much as I can.
    Just out of curiosity, how would I go about debugging emacs? I'm thinking of installing 21.2 and see if that helps at all.

Linux Guru
    xfs was really intended for either dumber devices than our PCs are (like H/W X terminals), or for large sites that want to centralize their font repository. xfs normally listens on a UNIX socket, and uploads requested fonts to clients, instead of having them access the fonts from file. It can be configured to listen on a TCP socket, though, so that a large site may have just one font server that serves all clients. Although it seems like a bit overkill, it does, admittedly, ease up font administration. It's not really necessary for an avarage home user, though.

When I was talking about debugging emacs, I meant settling down for the entire night with the emacs, X and xfs sources, gdb, a whole lot of patience and one, two or ten cups of tea. If you're not used to it, I recommend that you begin by installing 21.2 first and see if it helps. If you are used to it, you know how much you learn, but at what price.

Linux Engineer

emacs problem

Dolda,

This is definetly an emacs problem. I upgraded to 21 and this didn't the problem was resolved.
    The reason why I didn't use emacs21 was because of it's apperance. It has stupid graphical things and having a 15 inch monitor, I need all the space that I can get. Do you know a way to make emacs21 more like emacs20? For example, getting rid of graphical menu bar, unblinking cursor?
    My other thought was that I was thinking of building from the source code. I haven't done anything like that yet and thought that it might be a good experience.

Linux Guru
    It might very well be a good idea to rebuild it from source. However, as you are probably aware, emacs is pretty customizable as it is, so of course you can get rid of the menu bar, tool bar and everything. To get rid of the tool bar, run the tool-bar-mode interactive command or evaluate the form (tool-bar-mode -1), of which you can of course put the latter in your .emacs file to do it automatically on startup.
    What I don't like about emacs 21 is the 3d toolkit they used for the scrollbars and stuff. It really doesn't look as good as the flat ones they had before. I'm sure it's possible to customize that, too, but I haven't looked for it that hard.

Linux Engineer

yea me too

Dolda,

Yea, I'm not a big fan of emacs21 because of the scrollbars, blinking cursor, toolbar, and the fact that it's almost twice as big as emacs20. I was looking to change the scroll bar too but I couldn't find it in the manual. I too like the old way of how it looked. emacs21 looks more like xemacs and I'm not a big fan of it. Let me know if you find a way to change the scrollbar. I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual.
    OK, so I'm running emacs21 with toolbar-off. I noticed that the menubar default size is different than emacs20. I was able to manipulate this in emacs20 but apparently emacs21 has it's own default size that I cannot shrink. I also like emacs20 because it uses up less space. I have a 15'' monitor and three two emacs windows will almost entirely cover up the screen.
    I actually tried to build emacs20 from source(./configure->make->make install, make clean). It was the first time I did anything like it and in the end, I got an error indicating some termcap error. It was one line and wasn't helpful at all. I had to ditch that to go back to emacs21.
    I'm still going to investigate this until I can find something. In the meantime, it looks like I'll stick to emacs21 till the problem is solved. By the way, thanks for answering that other question I asked about default X config. Just out of curiosity, how do you know so much about linux? I've been using linux for writing code only and I haven't been getting involved in everything until recently.

Linux Enthusiast
    How does he know? That is a good question, and I will answer it like I was asked it. You just get to know it. It isn't like something I took months to read up on, but more like a "man, the mutt interface looks like crap, and it sends mail that looks like it is from sams@10.42.42.1, that is wrong, how do I fix it?" Then we go on some hunting. Google is a favorite. google for "mutt from field" and it will tell you how to change the from field. The to groups, people say "man muttrc". Okay, a muttrc file, probably in the home directory. .muttrc, that makes sense. Okay, put some stuff in .muttrc. Hmm, other people probably have their posted, let's go back to google. put in "example muttrc" and it will turn up about 200 peoples customized muttrc files. Same thing for .emacs files, .Xresources, etc etc. Sometimes it comes to a point that we cannot find something. It happens to everyone. Dolda asks questions on here, so do I. Usually when one of us asks questions though it is really specific (what version of glibc started using thread grouping correctly, where do I specify what the home and end keys do in the plain terminal). And sometimes we have to go "source diving" to find the answer. I know I have had to do this way more than once. I do some development stuff for GNOME, and test out a lot of their less than stable crap, so sometimes a problem will arise, I will have to gdb it, and then go into the code and find out exactly what they are trying to do. What? Dia has a hardcoded path to /usr/lib/dia?? What kind of crazy **** is that? Oh well, change the hardcoded path, submit a report of the bug, they will fix it. Maybe this is just my way of doing things though.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast