Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im using VMPlayer and its asking for a VMX file, so i made one and now it says i dont have enough virtual memory, yet i have 768mb RAM! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to emulate.

Hi, im using VMPlayer and its asking for a VMX file, so i made one and now it says i dont have enough virtual memory, yet i have 768mb RAM!
    I dont understand it, im trying to use featherweight linux on my windows xp home edition computer but i dont want to install it?
    Oh and QEMU dosent work so dont ask.

Linux Newbie
    Go download the current version of embedded DSL: www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    -Set your color depth to 16bit
    -Unzip what you downloaded.
    -Run the dsl-windows.bat file by just double clicking it.
    (Just try it)

If you don't like that, download the current DSL .iso file and burn it to disk with Nero (as an IMAGE not a regular data CD). Then just boot it up. You may have to enter your bios and make sure it's booting from CD. If you need help with this I'm sure it's all over Google.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by aff1993
    Hi, im using VMPlayer and its asking for a VMX file, so i made one and now it says i dont have enough virtual memory, yet i have 768mb RAM!
    I dont understand it, im trying to use featherweight linux on my windows xp home edition computer but i dont want to install it?
    Oh and QEMU dosent work so dont ask.
    Go to EasyVMX's website. From there, you can create a .vmx file so that you can boot the DSL image in Windows. I have used that site for all my vmware images, and they all work.

Good luck

~weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    Go to EasyVMX's website. From there, you can create a .vmx file so that you can boot the DSL image in Windows. I have used that site for all my vmware images, and they all work.

Good luck

~weed
    Weed, I had no idea that site existed. You've just saved me from an absolute ton of hassle here at work. Thanks very much.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Weed, I had no idea that site existed. You've just saved me from an absolute ton of hassle here at work. Thanks very much.
    Thanks for the thanks Roxoff! It's amazing what you find with google these days...

But one thing you really should modify (if you use the super simple option) is what the sound card should be recognised as.

This line in the .vmx file:
    Code:
    sound.virtualdev = "sb16"
    Should really be changed to (imo) :
    Code:
    sound.virtualdev = "es1371"
    I know that this helps when running FC5 with VMware player. The sound actually works on first boot.

I need to see what this is like in Linux, I only have tried it in Windows so far.

~weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--