Find the answer to your Linux question:
I figured I would post this here since I've never done a backup under GNU/Linux before. So the question is pretty simple! How would I go about backing-up a large ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Backup!

I figured I would post this here since I've never done a backup under GNU/Linux before.

So the question is pretty simple! How would I go about backing-up a large file system? Currently, I just want to backup my Home directory, which is in it's own partition, but it's currently using 135GB. I read a Introduction to Linux a while ago, and they mention the backup process really ambiguously by saying that you should just use the "cp" command. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way of doing this.

So I tried using "tar" to tar and gzip the files in my home directory and that ended up in disaster because appearantly tar doesn't handle an output file larger than 2GB (at least it wouldn't give me anything larger than that).

I'd also like to stay away from the "dd" command because I don't want to backup the complete file system, just the files in it (lets say for example if someday I wanted to resize this file system).

Anway, what would you guys recommend as the best way to backup files?

"To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee