Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Ive set up the apache webserver with php and mysql and was wondering if anything else needs to be done for my webpage to be seen on my network? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up linux rh9 on network

Hi, Ive set up the apache webserver with php and mysql and was wondering if anything else needs to be done for my webpage to be seen on my network? I've set the IP to 150.203.233.4 (The network its on all have IPs in the range 150.203.0.0 to 150.203.255.255) in the "set static IP" section and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Is there anything else I need to do besides this and making sure apachectl is started?

That should be all that needs to be done to get apache up and running. You'll want to go through the apache.conf and edit all the settings to you liking and check up on securing apache and mysql, but that's about it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    yep, it should work, on a side note tho:

150.x.x.x is not listed as a private network, so although it will still work, chances are someone on the internet will also have an ip of 150.x.x.x, this poses 2 problems, 1) if they have the same ipas u and u manage to run into them online stuff will go wrong, im not sure what, but it wont be good. and 2) they will be able to walk right thru any ip based security stuff, eg programs that will only allow connections from ip's on your network.

Just Joined!
    Its not a private network? Hrm thats strange...It the ANU (Australian National University) Network. Ive had a webserver running on WinXP (shhh, that was then!) and it had been accessable on the internet no problems. The IP was the same and a I got a DNS registered for it from the ANU networking guys, it is currently http://postal.anu.edu.au. Try pinging it and you will get "atreyu.anu.edu.au", postal is just an alias for that IP. Its not up atm so your requests will time out.

Linux Guru
    I think Hellmasker just misunderstood - I think he thought you were using these IP addresses on a not publically reachable network, which would, of course, have been bad.

Linux Engineer
    yeah, sorry. i thought u were using valid internet ip's on machines that were only 1 router away from the real internet.