Find the answer to your Linux question:
I surf to the Sun download page to download the JRE. Under the Linux Platform - J2SE(TM) Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7 box, there is 2 links. One is Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Difference between Linux self-extracting file

I surf to the Sun download page to download the JRE.

Under the Linux Platform - J2SE(TM) Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7 box, there is 2 links. One is Linux RPM in self-extracting file and one is Linux self-extracting file. Two of them is .bin file. Is .bin file like .exe file in Windows?

What is the difference between these two self-extracting file? Is the Linux self-extracting file (without the RPM), the one that we have to compile manually?

Linux Enthusiast
    I have no idea, but I'm going to guess that the RPM one writes to the package manager, so that if you want you can uninstall it in the future!

Unix in general doesn't need extensions for it's files (file information is kept in the beginning of the file). I think it's called .bin for binary.

Whether it's rpm or self-extracting shell(which is what the bin will be), that has nothing to do with whether or not you need to compile. In your case, odds are there's no compiling to be done. As bidi says, the advantage of rpm installs is that it checks to ensure you've got any minimum requirements installed, and at a later date if you want to uninstall or upgrade, it tends to be more trivial and reliable.

It's also worth noting that many distributions come with a recommended java install - you might want to double-check your installation discs to make sure you don't already have one! Sometimes things can get wonky with heavily embedded programs like java if you don't follow the recommend. You'll probably be OK though...

DT