Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking to put linux on my computer in the garage. It will basicall be used for music storage/playing and light surfing.I am looking to go dualboot with win xp. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question new to linux. have q's

I'm looking to put linux on my computer in the garage. It will basicall be used for music storage/playing and light surfing.I am looking to go dualboot with win xp.
    As far as drives go, have win on a 30 gig, plus I have a 20 gig to put linux on, and I have a 140 gig for music and vids.The 30 is set up ntsf. the other 2 are blank.should I format the 140 with ntsf(only writable from xp) or fat so it is writable from both.and as for what linux distro?? I have played with suse 10.0, madriva,kanotix, and knoppix.All seem pretty cool what is recomended? If running suse can I make the system dual boot with both kde,and gnome options.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmill
    I'm looking to put linux on my computer in the garage.
    cool

should I format the 140 with ntsf(only writable from xp) or fat so it is writable from both.and as for what linux distro??
    That's a good point. As far as you use this system as media center I doubt you will need advantages of NTFS in practice, so it would be better to make it FAT32. On the other hand there is a possibility to make NTFS writeable in linux, BUT it's very risky. I wouldn't suggest using that.

I have played with suse 10.0, madriva,kanotix, and knoppix.All seem pretty cool what is recomended?
    If it's just a jukebox for your beer parties in garage, I would suggest using livCD and not bother about system stability. Knoppix would be great. On the other hand, there are special Media oriented livCDs, which load minimal linux configuration and media player on fullscreen. Has dozens of codecs preinstalled. That's a pity, I've forgot it's name, try googling.

If running suse can I make the system dual boot with both kde,and gnome options.
    Yes.

Just Joined!
    do you think write acces to the 120 gig, is big problem.If I will just be playing vids and mp3s, read should be ok?That would leave me with the 20 for linux only

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmill
    do you think write acces to the 120 gig, is big problem.
    No, I meant that making write operation to NTFS volume under Linux is a big problem. But what about FAT32, it's ok.

.......That would leave me with the 20 for linux only
    Up to you. Once again, you could not to install any OS at all, and use liveCD instead.

Linux Newbie
    Try googling for Live CD which is specially oriented for multimedia purposes. I remember holding such Live CD in my hands, but I've forgot it's name. Linux gets booted from CD and Multimedia Player is ran in fullscreen mode, without kde or any other window manager. PC becomes one big jukebox. Find it and try it

Just Joined!
    I have used live cd's for kanotix and knoppix. I just dont think I want to have to cd spinning all the time.