Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I have narrowed it down to Arch, Gentoo and Slackware. Theres only one way to know for sure which I will like except to try them out. Im going to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I have narrowed it down to Arch, Gentoo and Slackware. Theres only one way to know for sure which I will like except to try them out. Im going to read reviews and websites and decide which I want to use first. Thanks guys for all your help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by murph1083
    I have narrowed it down to Arch, Gentoo and Slackware. Theres only one way to know for sure which I will like except to try them out. Im going to read reviews and websites and decide which I want to use first. Thanks guys for all your help.
    All good choices and you are right, the only way to know for sure is to try each one and decide for yourself.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks ozar for suggesting Arch, I would never have thought of it on my own.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by murph1083
    Thanks ozar for suggesting Arch, I would never have thought of it on my own.
    No problem, but keep in mind that I really like your other two options, too. If Arch were to go away forever, I'd be all over Slackware or Gentoo in a minute.
    oz

Just Joined!
    which arch CD do I want. The base or full cd?

oz
    forum.guy
    The full CD has lots of extra packages on it (some might need updating), whereas with the base system you need to download any desktop packages you want. I always use the base CD then get my desktop online.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ozar, what are some things you like most about arch. I have been reading about it and it looks like it has the best of all worlds.

oz
    forum.guy
    Murph1083, they've just dumped a huge pile of upgrades into the repos so you might want to wait a few days before trying to install arch, or at least wait before upgrading if you go with the full install. The upgraded packages usually come a few at a time, but ocassionally they'll dump a large number in and it takes a while for the dust to settle. Some are reporting no problems at all with major the upgrading and a few are having some issues. I'll be waiting a bit before upgrading, personally.

Anyway, to what I like about it... it's fast and I really like the pacman package manager. Other than that, I like the manual configuration scheme, and it usually employs the very latest in packages.
    oz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3