Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have been trying to find the distro that suits me. I started with SuSE and I really didnt like it, then i tried debian 3.1 but i was a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 distros down need a 3rd

I have been trying to find the distro that suits me. I started with SuSE and I really didnt like it, then i tried debian 3.1 but i was a little too outdated for me. But I really enjoyed it in general. Now Im trying to look for another distro to try. I know im not ready to try Gentoo, any idea on what I could perhaps like? Im looking for one with easy access to many packages.

oz
    forum.guy
    Try Arch... it's a bit like Slackware, and a bit like Gentoo, but without all the long compile times associated with Gentoo:

http://www.archlinux.org
    oz

Problem is: Arch has not that many packages available... Way less than Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, Mandriva or SUSE.

The basic question that you should answer first is: What do you expect from a distro? What do you use it for? How would you define yourself? Poweruser? Sparetime user? Compiling-freak? Package-lover? Desktop user? Server user? All important questions you should consider before using a distro.

As you are already familiar with Debian: How about simply upgrading to Debian Sid?
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Linux User
    Or being a fairly new user try Ubuntu.
    far...out

oz
    forum.guy
    murph1083... regarding package count, there are the regular repositories (probably in the thousands of packages), and the community repositories (about 2500 packages), then there's the Arch Build System (ABS) where you can make your own package in just a few minutes. I've been using Arch for about 16 months now and have never run into lack of packages issues.

Of course, I can't speak for everyone.
    oz

We're gettting dangerously close to the "which distro" prohibition, so this thread will no doubt be locked soon. But while I have the opportunity, I'll mention that I'm very pleased with the RPM packaging system, and specifically Mandriva.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Try Arch... it's a bit like Slackware, and a bit like Gentoo, but without all the long compile times associated with Gentoo:

http://www.archlinux.org
    I'll second that.

Mepis and Ubuntu are good Debian based choices. CentOS is a very good distro based on Red Hat Enterprise.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    The basic question that you should answer first is: What do you expect from a distro? What do you use it for? How would you define yourself? Poweruser? Sparetime user? Compiling-freak? Package-lover? Desktop user? Server user? All important questions you should consider before using a distro.
    I would say I fall under the Poweruser, Package-lover. But I also love compiling things since I get that custom feel. The distro is for a Desktop, not a server. I thought about Dedian Sid but the fact that its still in Testing has me a little worried.

My problems with SuSE was I found too much random crap pre-installed. Everything was too laid out for me. Made me feel too much like a noob.

My problems with Debian is when I wanted to install a program, I had to update like 10 different packages that some times even required package updates for those package updates.

I would love to find something with tons of packages at my ready if i need them and have the custom fit that gentoo has and be up to date where I wont have to update tons of packages.

Debian was nice too because its what the University I go to uses.

Debian unstable is pretty stable, even if the name suggests something different. As you are a poweruser and package-lover who wants a good desktop, my first recommendation would be to upgrade Debian and test it. If you don't like it then, well, then either go the Slackware, Arch (but check their server for packages you definitely need first!) or Gentoo stage 3 route (stage 1 and 2 are imho overkill and imho quite often pretty useless).
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast