Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi people, Im completely new at the LinuxWorld... And im trying to install Red Hat 9 on my very old computer. The graphic mode starts completely wrong... I can only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor configuration on Red Hat 9

Hi people,

Im completely new at the LinuxWorld... And im trying to install Red Hat 9 on my very old computer.
    The graphic mode starts completely wrong... I can only use the text mode. Ive tried to change the XF86Config...
    But i cant do this work. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 3 (not NE) and my video card is a trident TGUI9680.

I dont know how to configure the monitor section, the device section and the Screen section.

My horizSync is 35.0 - 55.0 and my VertRefresh is 50.0 - 110.0...

Can anyone help me ???

Regards

Linux Guru
    In what way does it go wrong (ie. what does it look like)?

Just Joined!
    When i hadnt opened and tried to configure my XFree86Config the Red Hat had tried to start the graphical mode but didnt.

Now what happen is that it starts the graphical mode, its appear a smudgy rectangle, probably the problem is the frequency. I dont know the right values.. the ones i found on the internet didnt worked...

I dont know if the red hat is using the right driver too...

Linux Guru
    I looked up the monitor's user's guide on the net:
    http://www.samsungusa.com/cmc_upload...21/CQA4147.PDF

The problem is probably that this monitor only allows discrete sync frequencies. Try using these HorizSync and VertRefresh lines instead and see if that works - if it doesn't, individual ModeLines have to be constructed:
    Code:
    HorizSync 31.47,35.16,35.52,37.50,37.86
    VertRefresh 56,60,70,72.8,75,87
    Those are the frequencies that the user's guide states that the monitor is capable of.