Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to stop a process from running but I dont know which process is suitable to be killed cause I'm afraid that if I stop the wrong process, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to know which process can be stop

I want to stop a process from running but I dont know which process is suitable to be killed cause I'm afraid that if I stop the wrong process, it might make the system unstable. Any suggestion on stopping a process? Is it wise to stop a process from the /usr or /sbin directory which is runned by root?

Please say what kind of machine you have (server or desktop, laptop) and we can give you a list of services that you should keep running on your box.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

I'm using a personal desktop.

acpi
    acpid
    alsa
    anacron
    atd
    crond
    cups (if you use a printer)
    dm
    haldaemon
    iptables (if you want a firewall, sometimes it will also start guarddog, shorewall or firestarter service, too)
    keytable
    kheader
    mesagebus
    network
    numlock (optional, if you want to have numlock enabled by default)
    partmon
    rawdevices
    sound
    syslog
    xfs
    xinetd

Those should be running by default.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jojojo
    I want to stop a process from running but I dont know which process is suitable to be killed cause I'm afraid that if I stop the wrong process, it might make the system unstable. Any suggestion on stopping a process? Is it wise to stop a process from the /usr or /sbin directory which is runned by root?
    The list varies somewhat based on your distribution and the services you've enabled. One method of obtaining this list is to reboot, then do a "ps" of all processes like [ps -eo "%p %u %c" f] for example. Everything before your login is likely to be a needed process. Also note that most are started by root, with a few exceptions.

My question is - why do you want to kill processes with a signal ? I do this sometimes during code development or to kill some process that I've really messed up ... but it's only rarely needed in normal use. See 'pkill' for an interesting variant.

how lock a file

hello
    i am having a problem on file lock. how to lock a file which is already using open() sothat no one can remove it from terminal