Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I figured out all of my hardware problems, and now I need to install a filesystem to my HDD. I was thinking reiserfs or ext3, but I can't find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Formatting a HDD from Knoppix

So I figured out all of my hardware problems, and now I need to install a filesystem to my HDD. I was thinking reiserfs or ext3, but I can't find any utilities on Knoppix that will allow me to format/partition my HDD. I have an internet connection, an 80GB OEM HDD, and two CD-ROM drives. So basically, I can't make myself a debian online install CD, and I appear to have lost mine. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if these are included on Knoppix, but did you try fdisk and mke2fs/mkreiserfs?
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!

Hmm, didn't work

Yeah, but for some reason two things won't happen. First, I can't mount the HDD without a filesystem. Second, I can't create the filesystem without mounting.

Here's a log:
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ mkfs
    Usage: mkfs [-V] [-t fstype] [fs-options] device [size]
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ fdisk /dev/hda

Unable to open /dev/hda
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ fdisk /dev/hda

Unable to open /dev/hda
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ mkfs /dev/hda
    mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
    /dev/hda is entire device, not just one partition!
    Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
    mkfs.ext2: Permission denied while trying to determine filesystem size
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$

Linux User
    Hi KBAegis,
    I would suggest you to get SystemRescueCD, because it has lot more system utilities than Knoppix.

But Knoppix does have QtParted in it which can be used for partioning. I do not know which version of Knoppix Live CD you are using. It was added in Knoppix version 3.2-2003-05-03, from KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt.

You can run QtParted by the following command : -
    # run_qtparted
    You can get the information about SystemRescueCD from the following thread : -

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...lp-please.html

With Regards,
    Thinker

Just Joined!

That's nifty

But QtParted doesn't recognize the HDD. Just the CD drive with the knoppix thingy on it. Thanks for that though. I think I'll check into that rescue CD in the meanwhile. May be a while before I can get one burned.

oz
    forum.guy
    Another option you could look at would be Gparted. It's an under 30 MB live-cd that some have said worked for them where Qtparted wouldn't:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    oz

Linux User
    Hi KBAegis,
    Just, one doubt - For disk partitioning, you need to be root. From the command log that you have posted, it does not seem that you were root while running them.

Hi ozar,
    Gnome Partition Editor is a good partitioning tool, but I suggested SystemRescueCD, because it has numeous other file system tools like, GNU Parted, Partimage, reiserfsprogs, xfsprogs, jfsutils, ntfsprogs, etc.

With Regards,
    Thinker

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker
    Hi ozar,
    Gnome Partition Editor is a good partitioning tool, but I suggested SystemRescueCD, because it has numeous other file system tools like, GNU Parted, Partimage, reiserfsprogs, xfsprogs, jfsutils, ntfsprogs, etc.
    Yeah, SystemRescueCD is great and I keep a copy of it on hand at all times.
    oz