Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm setting up an Linux install on my computer, but I'm facing a problem, which I havent found any answers. (maybe I just didnt search it on right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux newbie - What format on partition

Hello all, I'm setting up an Linux install on my computer, but I'm facing a problem, which I havent found any answers. (maybe I just didnt search it on right places?) What format my Hard disk partition should be? I mean should it be FAT32, or what? could it also be NTFS?

I'm going to install a Red Hat 9.2, so I would really love to know the pre-install reqruiments (I have tested my system on CD-auto loader Linux, and my computer hardware seems to be ok)

Thanks for your efforts... and sorry for this stupid question

Linux User
    Linux uses it's own filesystems, ext3, reiserfs ect. While you cannot install Linux on a fat or NTFS partition, you can read and write to a fat 32 and read from an NTFS. If you plan on dual booting, install Windows first. If you want to share stuff between Windows and Linux, make a fat 32 partition during the RedHat install, it'll guide you through it. The RedHat install will guide you through everything, just don't select a install on whole drive option if you plan on dual booting.

You can install Linux on a FAT32 file system

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Really? Well I take back what I said then.

Linux Newbie
    i vote you use ext3 because it journals i.e. if your computer gots turned off improperly you can recover your data.