Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings all, I hope the users of this forum can help out. I'm a long time Windows user (from 3.1 to XP) that has just switched over to LInux (Xandros ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Looking for a flexible distro

Greetings all,
    I hope the users of this forum can help out. I'm a long time Windows user (from 3.1 to XP) that has just switched over to LInux (Xandros OCE, it came with the book I Purchased).
    On the surface Xandros is very user friendly to the Windows user but if you like to tinker and tweak with your system then Xandros is just as restrictive if not more so than windows was. In Windows I could add and remove as much 3rd party software as much as I liked (had to try it before discovering it didn't live up to it's hype or was just plain junk). This is not an option in Xandros, as I discovered (broke the system once but was able to repair with a reinstall).
    My question is, is there a Linux distro available that will allow you to install open software or at least have an extensive library of add-on's from which you can pick and choose to see if the software will work for your needs?
    Any help in this manner would be greatly appreciated.

If you are familiar with Xandros, I guess the next (and final perhaps) step would be Debian GNU/Linux.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Hello Antidruge,
    Thank's for the reply and suggestion. I've looked a little bit into Debian, it looks like a distro with lot's of support and options. I've noticed that there are different versions of Debian, any suggestions? Are there pro's and con's to each version?

Just Joined!
    Slackware is my favorite

its based off KISS (keep it simple stupid)

x runs fine, and its pretty tinker-friendly.

plus the logos a penguin smoking a pipe, can you REALLY get any cooler? a New England study says no.

You can look at this thread, it was on not long ago :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ut-debian.html

Debian Stable (which is labeled as Sarge right now) is perhaps the one you should try first. Once you feel confortable with it, you can upgrade to Testing (Etch for now), or even Unstable (always called Sid) if you feel brave.

Debian has extensive software repositories and all the nice tools. It is a very well designed system, very much customizable, but not necessarely user-friendly.

The netinstall might be a good way to install it :
    http://www.us.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Another good Debian ressource, Christian Marillat's site :
    http://debian.video.free.fr/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Most of the Debian derivatives are pretty flexible in what 3rd party software you would like to install.
    And there are quite a few derivatives, Mepis, Kanotix, Knoppix among others.
    Each person is different, no one can tell you what is good or bad about a distro, just there experiences.
    What one person will say is bad about a distro, another will really like that feature.
    What some will experience, others may not.
    Only you can decide what is best for you.
    And as this topic has been done to death, I will close this thread.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ