Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am 99.5 % sure of switching over to LINUX. Which distro is the least resource consuming? Windows XP Pro is ~200mb of memory. I have a ASUS Z80k notebook. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The Least Resource Consuming Distro

I am 99.5 % sure of switching over to LINUX. Which distro is the least resource consuming? Windows XP Pro is ~200mb of memory.

I have a ASUS Z80k notebook. Does anyone have this notebook with Linux running?

Linux Enthusiast
    Depends upon what you want to do. One of the smallest distros is Damn Small Linux; however, any distro without X and all the bells and whistles is small - as long as you like CLI.

Just Joined!
    I'm keen to Ubuntu. Is it good to install the server as a "MINIMUM" installed OS and then later install packages.?

Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, and Ubuntu 6.06 comes specifically as a Server installation. When you download Ubuntu Server you have the option to install a LAMP server in about fifteen mintues. Quite easy for first time server setup. As for installing additional packages, you can't beat APT.

Just Joined!
    what is the exact difference between the Linux server and Linux Desktop, specifically concerning Ubuntu

The "server package" usually comes afaik with only those basic things included that you need to run a server, that means you usually get a core package without a graphical environment. You will be stuck in a command-line and have to build/configure the rest from there. It will differ however from distro to distro what the base system consists of.

You can fine-tune every distro to a certain degree so it won't eat much memory. My Mandriva 2006 e.g. needs only some 80-90 MB RAM with Gnome 2.10 running. If I run e.g. Firefox and some Evolution stuff (and a total of 82 processes running), I am still only around 175 MB Ram usage.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Thanks to all those who answered my questions.

Switching topics:

Is Steam/counter-strike and its multiplayer compatible with Linux or does one need Wine or Cedera?