Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, i've posted here a handfull of times, read several tutorials here and at other sites and I am just not as happy with RH9 as I thought I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Distro is right for me?

Ok, i've posted here a handfull of times, read several tutorials here and at other sites and I am just not as happy with RH9 as I thought I would be.

I have a PIII PC that is aging well at about four years old. I have a hard drive with Windows ME and a seperate HD with Red Hat 9. I love RH for its stability and the variety of software that comes bundled with it, but the useability is still a bit rough. One of the things that kept me from Linux for so long is waht I refer to as the 'Audience Participation' factor. On Windows I can find a new program or game online, download it, double click the file and the installation will practially happen without me. Now on RH I am still (after about 6 months) struggling and cursing every time I see a .tar.gx file that I have to download. No matter how many tutorials I read then attempt to follow I cannot seem to get them to work for me.

I still have to reboot to Windows to listen to any of my MP3s because I cannot seem to get access to my first HD through RH. I have tried following word for word along with several sets of instructions, most of which were written for partitions rather than seperate HDs, and nothing seems to happen. I write in letter for letter what I am supposed to and then hit return and well...nothing happens. Or if it does I still don't know enough to recognize it.

I posted elsewhere on this forum that I am a 'User' not 'Admin' I do not want to have to piece together a new program from its compnents so that it will work. I'm not a stupid man by any means but I don't want to have to learn how to write to a root file just to get my PC to boot up with my CD-Rom already mounted. I sort of figure that should be a pre-requisite for an operating system.

So, am I using the wrong distribution? I am currently looking into both Lycoris and Lindows, which are supposed to be some of the most user friendly versions of Linux available. Should I just give up and buy a whole new Windows PC and hope that Linux can catch up in a couple years?

Dont mean to be rude but you should think is Linux really for me? Using Linux isnt quick and easy and it isnt suppose to be thats why its so powerful. I cant see linux ever being like windows in easy of use then you would lose what makes linux so good.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too sure about writing to a root file for the cd-rom, but I use mandrake, so I've never had to do that. It's been good to me so far, I've only had two troubles so far: 1) getting my girlfriends Wacom tablet to work (it'll work, but I've yet to learn about these sort of driver software) 2) I needed to update gLib (which was very do-able, just a lot of work w/ my other programs). Other than that, I've had no problems that these forums couldn't help me with. Invariably, there are a lot of package d/l's to get one program working (sometimes, not always), but I haven't had too much trouble there because mandrake offers buttloads of .rpm's, never needed a package that mandrake didn't offer as an .rpm. If you do decide to switch to mandrake, I don't guarantee all your problems will be solved, but the above has been my experience thus far.

On a side note, I don't buy the idea that `ease of use' and `powerfull' are mutually exclusive characteristics of OS'.

Just Joined!
    Darl- I'll add Mandrake to my list of potential Op Systems, Thanks.

Giro- Thats precisely why I'm in here. To find out if there is a version of Linux that I will be able to work with at my level. Or as I said in my post, should I just get a new Windows PC and go from there.

With all the different versions and software available for Linux I had hoped that there might be a system out there with the ease of use and compatibility of Windows but at the same time have the stability and availability of Linux.

If it turns out there isn't well, then I'll go back to Windows. But it won't be for lack of trying something new.

Just Joined!
    P.S. One more thing, is there any version of Linux out there that can support a trackball? RH9 forced me back to a mouse and I curse it once an hour out of habit.

i know that you can use a trackball cause i know that sarumont using a trackball in gentoo. so im guessing its possible in all distros of linux. but gentoo would be alittle hard i think for you cause you dont even get an installer you put everythign together on your own.

i personally think that suse and redhat/fedora. are the best systems for using if you want ease of use. but you could always try out lindows to and then you could give us a review cause i have always wanted to try it out and see what it was like but dont want to spend 50 bucks to get it i guess im jst cheap like that
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic_Amber
    To find out if there is a version of Linux that I will be able to work with at my level.
    Its not really to do with level of knowlage if you know basics your ok what i mean is the time and learning that it takes you have to be willing to bash your head agaist the wall and go round in circles. But at the end you will be shocked at the amount you have learnt. I hate using windows now its a pain it wont let you do nothing with your computer IT wants to do it and i dont like that. And i would agree with Mandrake is the way to go RH is a pice of poo IMO And these are just my opinions but if you stick with Linux you will love it and wont go back its just getting past the first hill!! As they say its a steep learning curve.

Just Joined!
    Europe:Salzburg Austria USA:Orlando,Florida
    i originally start with RH6 and went back to windoz several years ago....then i set up NT4 network but was totally overwelmed by miscrosofts licensing policies so i install RH8 for server...now i upgrade to RH9 and all running well...we all start as newbies at one time or other and unfortunately the best esperience for learning Linux is to dive in and try it and keep trying it until you get it...a book book from Que or Sams will help also....

Linux Newbie

Fedora core 1

I have just started using linux, and i think that Fedora core 1 is great, it is an evolution to red hat 9, but it is great, easy to use and resonably quick, i am going to experiment with other version though, let me know what you think i have not used any others yet, so i am not the most experianced, but fedora seem great to me.
    Very funny scotty - now beam down my clothes

Linux Engineer
    If you are capable of following instructions then i strongly recomend gentoo. it can do everything you state you want from linux and much much more (all you have mentioned is fairly basic stuff.. mp3/mouning other disks) it is also very easy to use. Personaly i find it to be the most powerfull distro that I have yet used. To ge the most from it [gentoo]. you really need a broadband connextion though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast