Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a total noob to Linux. I just installed Mandrake 9.2 yesterday and I've been using KDE. Whenever I've logged in, I've done so on the screen with the GUI. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help! My graphical login is suddenly gone!

I'm a total noob to Linux. I just installed Mandrake 9.2 yesterday and I've been using KDE. Whenever I've logged in, I've done so on the screen with the GUI. Today, however, after turning on my computer and selecting Linux in the bootloader (I had been working in XP Pro on my other HD), I was simply given a command-line interface. Does anyone know where my GUI went and how I can get it back?

Just Joined!
    i think i know what to do..

from the command promp log in.
    then type startx this will start x and bring up your GUI

from your KDE desktop click your main menu button (its the gear where the start button is on windows)
    select Configuration, then Configure Your Computer.. enter your root password, this will bring up the mandrake control center..

from the control center select Boot from the list of options on the left.. then on the right select Drakboot (helps you set up how your system boots)

make sure the box is checked that says "launch the graphical environment when your system starts) click OK

close the control center..
    that should help you out.

Linux Engineer
    Your /etc/inittab is controlling this.... change default runlevel from runlevel 3 to 5 do get to graphical login on bootup.
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much for the advice. Everything is working fine now.