Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently uploaded some freewares on my site like the current vista which is free and my server is getting hammared is there any way to limit 500mb per Ip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    avx
    Just Joined!

htaccess to Limit Downloads

I recently uploaded some freewares on my site like the current vista which is free and my server is getting hammared is there any way to limit 500mb per Ip for each day.

i want to use .htaccess function

There is really nothing you can do to stop people. Anyone can use a proxy or Tor to get another IP address. You should use some sort of time limit like rapidshare has where you have to wait a period of time to download again. Maybe you shouldn't host a huge file like Vista, what's the point in that anyways? you can get it from MS site and various torrent sites already.

there is a way you can do it, good way is to limit number of connections from one IP, which will prevent multisessional download.

i dont know know if you can do it with .htaccess, but there is some mod_xxx file for this. i have once read this in magazine, so i am not sure how this mod_xxx is concretely called... http://modules.apache.org/search?id=241 look in here, or better to here or better go to http://modules.apache.org and search for "ip"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    even if he adds it people will just use some proxy or something like tor to work around it..

hm... i dont think that many people can use proxies... and download managers cannot use oen proxy for one session of connection and another proxy for another session. so, what i am telling should work.

and also you can put limit for each file, for example limit that one file can be downloaded only by 5 IPs at the moment