Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, ive setup a server running red hat 9 for NAT and stuff in my home. When the server has been on for an hour or so, and no one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

red hat 9 'sleeping' Help!

Hi, ive setup a server running red hat 9 for NAT and stuff in my home. When the server has been on for an hour or so, and no one has used it, it stops responding to the network interfaces. It doesnt perform NAT anymore, and i cant ssh into it at all. I can however ping it, and it replies, but that doesnt 'wake it up'. The only solution i have found is to hit a few keys on its keyboard, but this is inconvenient, everytime my net stops working, to go upstairs, into the study, pull the keybard out from under the desk.... etc.

Is there a way i can get around this problem? Ive checked everywhere, and all power saving is diabled, even in the bios.

Its a pentium 233, with a pc100 M571 mobo, 2 eth cards and 96 mb ram. It has no monitor connected.

Please help me!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it does not matter if i am downloading from one of my client pc's, the pc still goes to 'sleep' and kills my dl

Linux Guru
    pass "apm=off" to your kernel at boot time. this will stop it being "smart" and going into suspend mode etc.

How you do this will depend on if you are using LILO or GRUB as your boot loader?

Jason

Just Joined!
    ah, yeah now why didnt i think of that :P
    probably cause im a linux noob :P
    anyway, i use grub, can u tell me how i would do it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    do you have a "/boot/grub/menu.lst" file?

if so, open it up in a text editor, look for a line similar to:
    Code:
    kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc9 hdb=ide-scsi vga=791
    in this case, you would change it to:
    Code:
    kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc9 hdb=ide-scsi vga=791 apm=off
    your exact line may be different, but you get the general idea

IIRC you may need to execute "grub-install" afterwards, and then reboot for the changes to take effect.

take backup copy of "/boot/grub/menu.lst", and also have the 1st redhat cd (for recovery mode if you need it) ready just in case..

Jason

Just Joined!
    arg, the machine doesnt have a cd drive, its in a drawer, no case, lol. Ill try that now, and let u know wat happens
    Thanks heaps

Just Joined!
    I did it, and the pc didnt die! YAY!
    Now ill just hae to see if it worked :P
    Is there a command that i can execute in ssh that would normall put it to sleep, but wont do it now because apm is off? or maybe im just to tired....