Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm fairly new to Linux and just want to make sure I know a couple of things now to prevent problems down the line. Basically I have quick ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Newbie Available Space Allocation question

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to Linux and just want to make sure I know a couple of things now to prevent problems down the line.

Basically I have quick question about available space. Can anyone pass any advice on how linux allocates available space. Unlike Windows I am under the impression you have to allocate available space to users and its not auto allocated? Is this correct?

I'm asking becuase I once experienced a similar issues on a solaris box and the OS is not pretty when this happens?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzocs
    Hi All,

I'm fairly new to Linux and just want to make sure I know a couple of things now to prevent problems down the line.

Basically I have quick question about available space. Can anyone pass any advice on how linux allocates available space. Unlike Windows I am under the impression you have to allocate available space to users and its not auto allocated? Is this correct?

I'm asking becuase I once experienced a similar issues on a solaris box and the OS is not pretty when this happens?
    Do you mean disk space? Not sure how you would like the OS to allocate space for the users then... Basically the users can write to their home directories (/home/user_name) so if the partition is full, there is a problem
    If you have the opposite problem (users getting too much space), google for "quota".

No what I mean is whether you have to allocate a limit for a user. I'm under the assumption that say there is 50gb available (free space) overall, When you create a user is a default limit given to that user say 5gb. When the user hits 5gb rather than automatically use the 45gb available it will cause problems ? I might be totally wrong, but I assumed linux done this?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux assigns no limits by default; the only limit to a user's space usage is the size of the partition /home is in, but all non-root users (by default) share this space. If you want to limit users, check out the quota program.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Hi Javasnob,

Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated.