Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i posted a few things before but im still having trouble with a few things, the main thing is logging in as root, i was told that 'su - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

still need help :-/

ok, i posted a few things before but im still having trouble with a few things, the main thing is logging in as root, i was told that 'su - password' would log me in as root, but it doesnt unlock the locked files, and more annoyingly i have these two files in my home directory that an instalation created, i want to delete them, but i 'dont have access'.

i know your not supposed to login as root for normal use, i do need to get in as root, i want to install things that will affect locked folders, and also explor these folders.

thanks for any help

The su - command will log you in as root in that particular terminal. If you want to have a file browser with root privelage open a terminal, run the 'su -' command and then in Gnome run [/code]nautilus ./[/code] or in KDE try
    Code:
    konqueror ./
    Once you are root you can change permissions on these directories or just do what you need to do with them.

Just Joined!
    Not sure what gnome is, but that other command did some stuff and said a few failure messages, still cant delete those files, and no root privilges, ill keep looking for 'gnome'

Can you post the errors you got for running this? What distro are you using?

Just Joined!
    ok, i did it again to get the errors and this time it brought up an explorer, but i couldnt delete those files or open the root, and i got this error...
    konqueror: WARNING: konqfactory::createview : no factory

im running suse 9.3

Just Joined!
    BUMP

Anyone? i know its a dumb newbie question, but your were newbs to once!

Im getting a linux book soon, but i'd appreciate any help before then

Okay. Well, this should be exactly what you want:

Open up a commandline and enter these commands:
    Code:
    su -
    <enter root password>
    You are now root in that commandline. Now, you are using KDE, so in that same commandline, type:
    Code:
    konqueror ./
    Gnome is another desktop environment, that provides a similar function to KDE.

Now then, the konqueror window that opens should have root privileges. What files are you trying to delete? And what do you mean 'open the root'?

if you want to login as root im guessing 'su root' would be enough?

That will give you a command line login. Also a straight su command defaults to root. Adding '-' to the command logs in as root with root's full $PATH

Just Joined!
    AHA!

it worked , im sure i tried that before from when other people said simuler, ohwell, cheers cabhan