Find the answer to your Linux question:
If I ssh into another machine, is there a way to get the graphics (or GUI) from that machine onto mine?? I heard that I need to use something called ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

reflections???

If I ssh into another machine, is there a way to get the graphics (or GUI) from that machine onto mine?? I heard that I need to use something called reflections, but I am not too sure.

Linux Engineer
    export DISPLAY=some.host.net:0.0

Linux Guru
    That shouldn't be necessary. You can make ssh make X11 forwarding itself, which is really much better, since it works from behind firewalls and is encrypted. If you're using RedHat, it should be on by default, otherwise, run ssh with the -X argument to turn on X11 forwarding explicitly.

Linux Engineer
    Exporting the display variable would still be encrypted since its being sent over the ssh tunnel. Also doesnt X11 forwarding need to be enabled in the sshd_config on the remote host?

Linux Guru
    Oh, I get you. Since you wrote some.host.net, I assumed that you meant he should set it to his own hostname. But don't you really just need export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 in that case? Oh, and by the way, it should be :10.0, since that's ssh's display offset. But it still shouldn't be necessary, since sshd sets that itself. Were you still referring to something else?
    I thought about sshd_config, but then I forgot to write it. But that's right, of course. It's not very likely to work unless it's enabled on the host side.

Linux Newbie
    do you mean "GHOSTING"

Linux Guru
    Why would I mean ghosting?

Linux Newbie
    i dont mean you, i mean the original starter of this thread.... it sounds alot like ghosting

Just Joined!
    I don't know what ghosting is.....