Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI im a n00b that looks 4 sum help. I want to know which is the best distribution for a person like me. I tried mandrake but i find it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best distribution 4 me(didnt like mandrake)

HI im a n00b that looks 4 sum help. I want to know which is the best distribution for a person like me. I tried mandrake but i find it too simple, and i expected a little bit more from linux. But with mandrake i learned sum basics. plz help.

slackware will help you learn linux but if you really want to get down and dirty the i recommend goin for gentoo. there is no actual installer and you compile everything. but slack is also a good distro for learning the inner workings of linux but gentoo will teach you the most if your up to it
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    I'm still pretty n00bish and I attemtped Gentoo...it was a total and complete failure. It may have won the battle, but I shall win the war
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    I plan on wiping Mandrake from my hard drive and attempting to install Gentoo sometime this month. If it's as difficult as I've heard it is then I;m up for a challenge.

if you follow the instructions, exactly, that are on gentoo's web site then it shouldnt be to bad. i did it once but i started from stage 3 so i kind of cheated i will try it again some day from stage 1
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

I founs SuSE easy to install as a first timer, and i hardly read anything on how to do it, jus tried it as i went along, and it's working fine now!!

Just Joined!
    Tnx 4 the advice. I will start with Slack 2 c how it goes, and if i c things go right, i will challenge myself with gentoo